Psyllium Husk Powder

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone tried this for DD ?  I've bought some in the hope it will help!  I was only diagnosed in May as had a terrible flare up but looking back over the last few years all my symptoms in the past are typical of DD and since May I still get pain on and off.  

Worryingly one morning I had all over body chills which scares me now reading about that but if that happens again I will call doctor.  

I've also bought some super green protein powder as my more energetic friends recommend that for energy levels.  

Ironically though I do exercise a lot but recently I seem to be wiped out and sleep a lot, although that could be down to the extreme heat.  

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I haven't tried it I was like you in December but didn't see the DR until it opened again after the holidays I was told I should have gone to AE due to severe symptoms. I take notice now if I think I am starting a flare up I phone my DR who gives me antibiotics. I too feel I have had DD for years I have had all the symptoms for ever If you become ill you really do need to seek medical assistance if your DR isn't open go to AE you can't be too careful

• Posted

Fiber is very good for DD. I take some every day.
    • Posted

I take albran on a morning I did take fybergel but found it make my stomach feel heavy and uncomfortable. I am seeing consultant in a week so going to ask advice
    • Posted

Always good to get a doctors advise. I don't eat fiber cereal. It bothers me. But fiber capsules work for me. The name brand is Metamucil.

• Posted

I will try them. I think the albran is what is giving me wind and the feeling I need to go to the toilet all the time x
    • Posted

I have just looked on the internet for Metamucil there are so many different ones which do you take x
    • Posted

Meta

Mucil

Fiber

Orange cap

160 capsules

I take 6 a day but start with two and see how it goes. It takes me 6 to go normally everyday. Read back of bottle .👍

• Posted

Hello, I take  psyllium husk in the form of Regucol (obtainable from Holland and Barrett) which I think has really helped.

I am also now a believer in turmeric and ginger!  I read that these spices are very good for healing inflammation. For the last few days I've been having a bowl of carrot, turmeric and ginger soup and the left hand side pain I've been experiencing for two months has almost disappeared. Of course it could be coincidence but I'm certainly going to continue with the turmeric!

The recipe was in Michael Mosley's new Clever Guts book which, although not specifically for DD, has some really good information on how our insides work.

• Posted

Psyllium Husk Powder is the ingredient in Fybogel, which my GP here in the UK has prescribed for me for the last 16 years, since I was diagnosed with DD.  I take it religiously every morning, plus if I am feeling bunged up, in the evening as well.  Metamucil is a brand name in the USA.  The symptoms you describe are typical for DD and the chills indicte you had an infection typical of Diverticulitis ie infection and inflammation of your diverticula.  You should have been prescribed antibiotics, unless you live in one of the European countries that only prescribes pain killers, liquid only diet and rest.  The intermittent pain often follows attacks, (it can last for weeks or even months), as does the lethargy, as your body heals. 

Were you given any advice or medication?  During an attack is should be fluids only, no fibre, then slowly reintroducing fibre as you start to get better.  Soluble fibre is best, and that is what the psyllium husk is.  You should also keep a food diary to see what foods trigger your symptoms.  I also take aloe vera juice, a natural remedy used for centuries, plus a probiotic drink, to help the good bacteria in the gut.  Antibiotics kills good and bad bacteria. 

Unfortunately this is a disease for life but managed properly I managed to go years between flares, and live a normal life.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Fybergel makes me feel heavy and like I need the toilet. How long does it take to settle in I have only taken it for 2 days then given up. I am going to try aloe Vera I am taking yacult drink as well x
    • Posted

At least a week.  But I think there is more going on with you then just Diverticulitis and you need to get full answers.
    • Posted

My DR thinks I have developed IBS it makes sense with my bowel problems I have had most of my life I am my own worst enemy every time I feel better I try to go back to how I ate before I was diagnosed with DD I am determined not to do it this time x
    • Posted

You are so right. Mine too started in my twenties with constipstion no bouts of diarrhea after eating.

I too never knew what were the triggers and really just passed it off as either soda, salad or soup when out in restaurants. Occasionally at home but not as much when dining out.

I really tried to eliminate those but my intestines would quiet for sometime only to go back to constipation.

The fiber does help as with both but you must still watch what you eat. It's a puzzle which unfortunately that one piece we can't find. Unfortunately it's not just one food that triggers IBS. And I think too many IBS episodes eventually bring on DD FLARE UPS. Good luck, God Bless.

• Posted

Taking a fiber supplement takes longer than two days to work. It takes more like two weeks to get your system back on track. You want immediate answers and the only immediate relief you can take is a prescribed anti spasm medication. Ask your doctor about Dyclomine. That's a generic form of Bentyl. That will help until the fiber starts working.

• Posted

You and I are more experienced at diagnosis than physicians. I too for about the same amount of years. It is frustrating, frightening and a disease that is hard to manage. Everything you said is what I do. Day by day. And keeping a food diary is good but I have found build up of certain foods contribute to mine. Thanks for sharing.
    • Posted

I can remember as a child having to stay in due to diarrhoea it happened a lot when I got upset or worried. I have gone back on fybergel going to take it for the week to see if it sorts me out. Seeing consultant on Friday so I am going to get my money's worth by asking him every question I can think of x

• Posted

I take mabevarine before meals. Just ordered probiotic tablets from natures best see how I get on with them x
    • Posted

That's the way. I did the same. A million questions and his answer was consistent. Metamucil (fiber) and lots of water.told me to eat everything. I don't know if I agreed with that but he's been around a long time and well respected surgeon. I was getting desperate so I needed to talk.

• Posted

My consultant as been around for years so I will believe and accept what he tell me I will let you know what he says x
    • Posted

Bitter experience I think!!  I am finally, after 10 months and 3 flares, having mostly totally normal, pain free days - the longest it has taken me to get over flares.  The days I do have pain I can relate exactly to having ice cream the day before.  Somehow in this nice weather, tepid water is just not the same, but probably better for me lol!!  You are also right about the build up of certain foods.  I think the hardest thing for new sufferers is the need for patience, and acceptance that you HAVE to change your lifestyle.  There are no instant, permanent fixes.  Maybe just a minor tweak, maybe more, but keeping it up is the hard part.  Best wishes
    • Posted

You are so right I would love a nice tuna salad with mayo and cold coke maybe ice cream for after. Instead I will have to make do with water and tuna sandwich x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.