Pt

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm about 11 weeks post op. My bones have healed, but why I'm I still so much in pain? I'm thinking that it's all the nerves. Do physical therapy really hurt? I've only been to pt one time.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Physical therapy doesn’t hurt, they ease you into it.  I’m surprised you’ve only been once l, and my guess is why there is still pain. 
  • Posted

e51145,

I don't know what you're doing in PT, but for me the pain during PT is brutal. My PT takes my toes and bends them forward and backwards to the point where I can't breathe.  Each person and operation is different, but having ankle replacement is no walk in the park. I am now approaching four months, and I can barely walk. My doctor and PT are telling me a year before I'm back to almost normal. 

Good luck to you. 

• Posted

I think if it really, really hurts at the time of doing physio there is somethi g wrong. Discomfort yes, aches after physio yes but real pain...not so sure but I am not a medcal professional. Do you do exercises every day as well as physio? 10 wks since my fracture. No pain if I am still but certain movements pain and too much causes aches.
  • Posted

My PT doesn't hurt much. I feel discomfort, but rarely real pain. I'm constantly communicating with my PT and if it's real pain, she stops or eases up on what she's doing. The only time I experience pain and let it continue is when she's massaging a spot of tight muscles. That pain only lasts a short time and gets better as she continues. I think it's important for people to be aware of their bodies, the different types of pain and to speak up when it's real pain that doesn't go away. I don't believe that's okay. I've heard stories of people thinking they're supposed to be feel real pain, not saying anything, and then finally learning that there was something wrong weeks later. That being said, I have a high pain tolerance. Lying in the emergency room with a broken and dislocated ankle, I was cracking jokes and really only felt an ache, not major pain. And I've had very little pain through out most of this journey. So, maybe I'm not a good judge.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.