PT is over

Posted , 8 users are following.

11 weeks post TKR, PT is over now what. How many times a day to do exercises?  Can I do water aerobics?  Any suggestions to keep ROM would be appreciated. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Daily exercises will keep muscles and tendons limber for extension and flexion. Water exercise is very good as long as the incision is fully healed. My chiropractor had a TKR two years ago and does the exercises everyday. He skis and can do squats and full extension. I'm 5 months past TKR and exercising daily. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Laurel

what is your exercise routine at five months??

• Posted

All of the exercises on the sheet given to me by the PT department for flexion and extension. My right knee is waiting to be addressed so I can't do a lot of walking or stairs but water exercises are low impact. I have a heel slider and a floor pedaler. I do stretching exercises on my massage table.

• Posted

I purchased it online, it basically is a foot shaped plastic piece that glides on a track on the floor so it is good for extending and flexing the knee. It makes the heel slide exercises easier.
  • Posted

When I had the TKR on my right leg,I started gradually walking from about 1/4 of a mile to about 4 miles a day ,I then tried to include slopes, and steps, on top of that I started using a static bike,for about ten minutes 4/5 times during the day ,the highest seat position,and lowest resistant, about 3 months I started to ride my bicycle ,that was very painful to start with but I persevered ,then 2 times a week went to the swimming pool , I found treading water really helped me ,more than lots of swimming  

At 4 months I was back working as a roofer climbing ladders, but I did push my self quite hard,and had a gradual return over 2 weeks,  but I had to build up the muscles for my left TKR which has been done 5 months later, a tough year! But everybody is different, and in different situations, now I have to start all over again!   Do what you can when you can to the best of you ability, I hope everything goes well for you!

• Posted

I found doing exercises in water was the best way to recover. You can do this as soon as the scar is healed. It is so much easier than doing them out of water. 
  • Posted

I am also 11 weeks post op. I have been doing exercises in the pool for the past 3 weeks and have benefitted greatly. I would imagine you still have to do the leg lifts and bends for quite some time to prevent the muscle from becoming lazy again, although if you are out walking or cycling that should be enough. Still finding stairs difficult though, think that is the last to get back.

Good luck. Sue

• Posted

I have the stairs mastered. Live on third floor Condo so worked hard. Glad to hear about the water we have aerobic water classes in the health club. Different classes daily. Just got the thumbs up about putting my legs in water. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.