Pth and kidneys

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've recently been referred to an Endocrinologist and am being monitored for high pth levels.  I feel fine and if not for the lab work, I wouldn't know anything is going on.  I've seen mention of  hyperparathyroid and end stage renal function.  I already have chronic kidney disease, so this worries me a bit.  I will be asking my Dr about this, but I don't see her for a few more weeks.  How concerned should I be at this early stage?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sue, kidney disease is definitely one of the many problems hyperparathyroidism can cause, but some people that had kidney disease had it resolve once the parathyroid tumor was removed. Please go to parathyroid.com and it will give you a lot of information including what to look for in a surgeon. Hope this helps, God bless.

• Posted

I was just operated on for removal of parathyroid gland after diagnosis for primary  hyperparathyroidism. Definitive diagnosis when high PTH blood test, along with high Ca. I also had bone density loss show up on scan. 

Secondary Hyperparathyroidism has to do with kidney function and high Ca. 

Parathyroidism Hyper) almost always is non malignant and treatable with high cure rate with surgery

• Posted

You need diagnosis for either primary or secondary hyperparathyroidism. Primary has high cure rate with surgery and tumor is almost always 100 percent benign. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.