Pth levels

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi , I'm trying to find out what is considered a normal pth level with blood test results as I can't seem to find any info here in the UK , if anyone knows I would be very grateful

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Phillybub:

The referance range should be 10-65 ng/L  and that range may be a tad different depending on the lab used.

Most reports give you the ref. range next to your lab value.  I hope this helps.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi , all I was told was that it is 3.6 am not to worry , but my gp couldn't tell me if that's normal as she isn't sure what the values mean 😧
    • Posted

Hello Phillybub:

It sounds low to me, and you may need calcium replacement.  Also you may need to see an Endocrinologist who knows the parathyroid gland much better than your GP.  Ask for a referal to see an Endo.

Stay well, Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly ,

I seen an endo last year I had a rare parathyroid tumour which was removed along with lymph nodes, the tumour made my calcium an vit d blood results appear normal , it was the osteoporosis and fluctuating pth levels that made them look more into it , I'm currently battling hypothyroid too with a tsh of 19 , and my pth of 3.6, I wasn't sure if 3.6 was normal

• Posted

Dear Phillybub:

I am so sorry to hear of your tumor and your troubles now with your parathyroid gland.

I am an RN (Nurse), and I live in the USA.  I would suggest you get on calcium and Vit D.  Many hypothyroid patients have a linkage to low Vit D. If not replaced via supplements, severe brittle bones, osteoporosis will continue. 

Calcium is also very important and you should ask your doctor if you need any extra. You may not need it now, but keep a watch on it.

Stay well, Shelly

• Posted

Hi Philiybub,

Not sure if this will help you. where I am, they seem to measure the PTH at pmol/L? mine started at 12.8 - then went up to 20 before op and 25 after op- my calcium went 2.4 to 2.89, now down to 2.60-2.65 the norm for calicium I was told is between 2.12-2.62, the norm for PTH I was told is between 7-7.5, my PTH 3 weeks ago was 8.9,  just waiting to see what last fridays blood test for PTH is today. I had my parathyroidectomy on July the 20th. They wern't sure if they had found all the faulty ones as most peoples PTH levels fall back to normal straight away, I hope they have found them all and my levels are just taking longer to fall. I'm still srugling with scar tissue in my neck scar area and tightness, and waiting for my energy to come back. Will be happier when I know if the op has worked rolleyes 

• Posted

Hello,

Looking at my sons blood work and from this lab it states 14-64 pg/ml

Angela

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.