PTNS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, has anyone tried PTNS (percutameous tibial nerve stimulation) for their IC?   It’s a 12 week course and I’ve started it but just wondered what experience others have had with it?  Many thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have cystitis but not I.C.I completed the PTNS program and now on maintenance. I have an overactive bladder and have noticed a big improvement. It took about 7 treatments before I noticed a change. I also hAve a pessiary for prolapsed bladder. Once in a while I do.have a bad day but this usually happens after the Dr cleans the pessiary. Once I finish maintenance my insurance won't pay for any further treatments, so I just hope for the best. Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Ann Marie, thank you for replying.  It’s good to know that the PTNS is working for you.  I’ve just found out that they haven’t been insterting the needle correctly and so I’ll gave to start the course again (which explains why I hadn’t noticed much improvement!) but what you say is encouraging.  Thank you.  I hope when you stop it continues to work for you.  I think we only get one maintenance session here too which is crazy seeing as the treatment leaflet said you need it once a month! Wait and see I guess - thanks again.
  • Posted

Hi Shirley, no haven't tried PTNS, but I do use a tens device that seems to help me. This is something that I discovered on another forum. Not sure if its safe but it seems to help. When the pain is too much and the urologist just tells me to eat properly, in which I do, i took matters into my own hands. Good luck and let us know how it goes with it.

• Posted

Hi Brenda, I’m sure a tens machine would do no harm,  I have one in a drawer somewhere! I didn’t find it helpful for my back but that’s another story - maybe bladder’s are different! I’m glad it’s helping you.  You’re so right - with most chronic conditions these days you need to become your own expert physician - even a doctor told me that once! Thanks for replying and I wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.