Ptosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Recently told by optician that I have Ptosis (left eye lid lowering over eye).  He suggests that I should wait 12 months before I am referred for corrective surgery.  This seems a long time!  Is there anyone out there who has been treated for this condition?   If so, at what stage after diagnosis did you have surgery?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mo, have you read the page on this site?

https://patient.info/doctor/ptosis-and-lid-lag

It depends on how developed your ptosis is but waiting 12 months before being referred, seems a long time when you bear in mind you then have to go on a waiting list.

Have you noticed yourself that your eyelid is droopy?  I was told by one of my Ophthalmologists that I have a ptosis but I could tell him that I actually have eyelid oedema.

Have a look at Google images and see if anything is similar to your eye.

Do you have any other problems with your eye, that might point to ptosis?

Perhaps the optometrist has just been on a course where he learned about ptosis and so he was seeing it everywhere!

• Posted

Why are so many people using opticions as though they were doctors? They are not!!  Ophthamologists are medical doctors. Opticions only know about glasses. They are NOT DOCTORS. In my opinion, they shouldn't be advising you on any eye problems. Google optician and ophthamologist and you will see the difference.
  • Posted

The answer to your question Yvonne, is, there is a new system in place in the UK, called PEARS

Primary Eye Care Assessment and Referral Service (PEARS) pathway

Optometrists have been trained [allegedly] to assess patients with eye problems and report to the GP.  Apparently, Optometrists can then refer the patient to a hospital clinic or their GP.

How do I know?  My Ophthalmologists appt is very late and my eye condition has flared up.  Normally,  I ring the Consultant's secretary and I am seen in the hospital.  This time, I was passed onto a very unfriendly Sister, who told me about Pears and told me to go to my local Optician, which I did.  This poor man kept telling me that he wasn't medically qualified and to keep my hospital appt., which I would if it ever came.

To say I am very angry about this, is an understatement.  And, to top it all, the shop girl in the Opticians, asked me if I was buying new specs today...........grrrrr!!

• Posted

I had an Dr. of Optometry ask me if I thought the wavy lines and trapezoid chaped windows were caused by my bifocals. Then she asked me about by blood sugar. Someone suggested optometrists can't count. I agree. They are not medical doctors. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors. Now that I have been diagnosed with both wet and dry macular degeneration, I hope never to see that optometrist again unless I need a new prescription for glasses. That's all they can do. Most optometrists will tell you they are not medical doctors and for an accurate diagnosis, you need to see a real doctor. RD. LOL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.