PTSD

Posted , 3 users are following.

I would like some info I have PTSD I spent 3 months in mental hospital I've tried various jobs I recently up until last week had a job in mental health but I gave it up due to hours and my PTSD can I claim DLA as I'm struggling to cope with PTSD and I have an eating disorder

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claire,

DLA no longer exists now, it's moved over to PIP (Personal Independence Payments) To claim this you must have had a condition for at least 3 months and expect them to last at least another 9 months. PIP is all about how your condition/s affect you in daily life. If you have difficutlies in washing/dressing/undressing, cooking, walking, making budgeting decisions etc. You'll need lots of evidence to support your claim and the waiting time for a face 2 face assessment can vary from 6 weeks to serveral months.

To start a claim off you'll need to ring PIP help line where they'll ask you a few simple questions, then they'll send you a PIP2 form which is exactly like a book. Lots and lots of different questions. This will need to be filled in and returned by the date on the letter. You can ask for extended time if need be. CAB are very good with helping to fill these forms in becayse they're very complex. Gather you evidence which can be anything from Dr's letters, Consultant reports, MRI results, Letter from someone that knows you well, diary by yourself. Anything really except for future appointment letters. Once this has been sent you'll most likely be called for the assessment where more questions will be asked. The best thing for you to do is google PIP and read what is says about ALL the descriptors. It's these that'll your assessment will be based on and will be given points. Basically with those descriptors you'll need to prove that they apply to you and that's where the evidence comes into it. If successful you'll be back dated to the date you first rang.

It's very stressful and often a long process. Good luck and i hope i helped start your process a little. smile

• Posted

Hi Claire. Sorry for what you are going through. As far as I am aware DLA is not available to anybody now. You have to go for Personal Independence Payment (PIP). Here is the link: https://www.gov.uk/pip. I hope they are good to you. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.