PTSD and Dissociation - How to deal with it?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have PTSD from multiple traumas in my life. I was in 2 fires around the age of 3 and now i'm intensely sensitive to alarms, open flames, prefer not to be around people smoking as the smoke sets me off, alongside a whole bunch of other hypervigiliante behaviour.This combines with PTSD from a sexual assault when i was 14 that i woke up to happening, and then a few years on when i was 19 i woke up to being raped. This has given me issues with sleeping, my own bed, hypervigiliance surrounding me, being followed and knowing who is in a room and where exits or weapons may be, alongside keeping my back to a wall at all times if possible. I live each day of my life never fully relaxing because of it, and it's exhausting. But the thing that gets to me the most is my dissociation. 

I experience dissociative symptoms where my skin does not feel like my own. It feels like it's a film laying on top of my muscles, that it does not fit and that i'm too small for it or that it's just plain wrong and it makes me wish I would rip it off in strips. This makes me self harm sometimes, though i have strategies in place to try and avoid this. But recently, for the past 3 weeks i have been constantly feeling like my skin does not belong to me. 

I cannot relax and i cannot get settled. I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice for me from their own experience that may help me to feel normal in my own skin again?

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I go through pretty severe PTSD and it’s a daily battle. The feelings I get on a daily basis and so rough, including not feeling like I’m myself in my own body almost. Sometimes it eases up, then comes back so strong. I get severe intrusive thoughts and suicidal ideation that feels impossible to fight. I also relive what happened all the time. I also have terrible depression and anxiety. Each day is a battle, but you are not alone even when it feels it. Take everything minute by minute, don’t take on too much and keep fighting

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.