PTSD diagnosed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I'm 13 years old I am an honors student who has big dreams and one who loves animals. I have been diagnosed with PTSD and pseudo seizures. I'm struggling to be a normal person and I cry myself to sleep each night, but I also have nightmares. This has become extremely difficult and I feel like I'm going insane and I thought posting in here would help clarify my feelings with people who not only suffer from the same thing, but would understand my pain. Will this end? What if medications won't work? What are other options that will work better for me? Being so young I don't know what to do. Please help me.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Find a hobby to fall in love with, read everything you can about it. Get whatever you need for the hobby and constantly strive to learn new techniques and different ways to do things. If you don't have the money to get everything at once, plan & research. A lot of times you can make what you need with things from around the house.  Medicines only help, don't look for a magic pill. But the combination of the hobby and meds has helped me substantially.  Avoid any triggers that will flash you back to your source of PTSD. The PTSD has you hyper vigilant,  your mind is in overdrive, fill it with something that makes you smile! And don't be afraid to talk to friends on family.  Ask them to help you avoid triggers and to recognize if you are having an episode. Not sure if you have this option or not, but I have done substantially better after getting myself a therapy dog from the local dog shelter.  I could not afford a "service dog", but shelter dogs actually do GREAT THINGS for people with PTSD.  And you don't have to pay for special training. Dogs pick up on your condition and your needs very quickly.  They will cuddle when you need it, calm you down when you need it, show you love when you need it and will stay with you or get help when you are having an episode. I'm on my third therapy dog.  Yorkies make great therapy dogs. Current dog is a pit bull mix. If you can't get one now, it's something to at least consider for the future. Also, try out the number 21.  When you need it, say the number slowly out loud and pronounce every syllable precisely. It is a way to slow your heart and calm you down. Maybe it will work for you too.  Good luck and know that you are NEVER ALONE in this battle!  
  • Posted

Here's another thought for you.  Pick up 2 of those long body-length pillows. Use one to hug during the night and place the other against your back when you are sleeping.  This will help you feel more protected and secure, and less vulnerable. And if you are a religious person, it helps to pray for strength and help to overcome your nightmares and fears.  Most importantly, you need to have faith! You WILL find ways to win the battle!!!  Keep chatting with other PTSD survivors! Try all their suggestions.   You never know what combination will work for you. We will keep praying for you!  
  • Posted

Hi Leah, I too have been diagnosed with PTSD, these kind people on this site are so lovely and great to speak to. They've got me through the last few months. Don't just accept medication it's not the be all and end all, it may help but ask for counselling too, this should REALLY help. Good luck don't forget we're here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.