Public Health Characteristics

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone explain what exactly public health characteristics are of a disease? Working on a paper for an Infectious Disease class and I'm trying to discuss what the public health characteristics are of smallpox. thank you!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi melissa. Public health characteristics basically means working on how to prevent disease by learning about its characteristics & helping to prolong life by better treatments & in some cases better lifestyle choices. Hope that helps.

• Posted

Smallpox was totally eradicated from the U.K but was brought back by immigrants of countries that are still rife with it. Lucky old us """

• Posted

Jacqueline, that's an extremely ignorant comment, and not at all helpful to Melissa.

According to the World Health Organisation the last case of naturally-occurring smallpox worldwide was recorded in Somalia in 1977, and it was declared eradicated in 1980. A few samples were kept in laboratories all over the world for immunological purposes, and it was the unfortunate escape of contamination from one of these that infected and killed a medical photographer in the UK in 1978. Nothing whatever to do with immigration.

And now I suggest we end this discussion, which shouldn't be in a sleep disorders forum anyway.

• Posted

Well Lily ,,,,Ignorant .I am not, otherwise I would not have presented my piece of info. Small pox has not been eradicated ,as I said ,and, there are more foreign countries than Somalia,. Facts my dear,, Facts.Yours need updating .Since your Very old statistics ,thousands of immigrants have entered the U.K , and I have No doubt ,the disease did not fall out of a test tube ,You seem to have not noticed .that Melissa, did not mention sleep. ,

• Posted

Go to the World Health Organisation website. Smallpox has indeed been eradicated. Please don't spread false information. The current inrush of immigration hadn't started in 1978, when we had the last smallpox case in the UK. I think you're confusing smallpox with tuberculosis, in which there has indeed been a rise in the UK, which is deemed to be partly due to immigration from countries where it isn't treated properly.

Yes, you're right - Melissa didn't mention sleep. Which is a bit odd, since she posted her question here, on the Sleep Problems forum (look at the top of the page).

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline,

Just a simple Google search shows that your comment was not based on facts. Please take some time to educate yourself on Smallpox. Your comment in no way added any significant contribution to my post.

• Posted

Hi Lily,

Thank you for all the info, certainly helpful. I apologize, I clicked the wrong forum, I'm new to this website. I think it's important to stick to the facts as well, Smallpox certainly has been eradicated and not at all being spread by immigrants, a simple Google search proves that.

• Posted

Don't worry Melissa. People quite often post on the wrong forum - though to be honest I don't know what the right forum would have been for your question. I believe there's a general one.

I'm glad you got the answer you needed from Michelle anyway.

Good luck with your paper!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.