Public swimming pool?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been advised to do pool exercises such as walking to strengthen my back after prolapsed disc problems recurring. I don't like the sea and I am sure chlorine pools would be a no no for LS, but we have very warm salt water baths nearby, and they are REALLY salty (took granddaughter there this week and tasted the water) I must admit it appeals but  what do you advise, ladies? Too much salt? Likely to be opportunistic nasties to aggravate me further? Just not a good idea to share anything, with anyone? 

Thanks in advance. X 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I haven't had any issues in the pool or ocean. I recently had a bad outbreak and the pool didn't make it any worse.
  • Posted

I was told just to use a Vaseline type ointment like Dermeze to protect the area. I guess we all have to balance all our health issues as most of us would not just have LS!
    • Posted

Yes I guess that's true, although I must admit before my diagnosis I didn't even think twice. Just thought, salt is good and chlorine kills bugs, in the pool I go!

Now I seem to overthink everything, worried about everything aggravating me. Guess it's early days. And the Vaseline make perfect common sense! 😀

• Posted

I was also told to use a good barrier for protection and shower as soon as I got out of pool.  
  • Posted

I believe salt water is excellent. i also use a salt/water spritz after bathroom. I think Your right Lynne about over thinking everything- hard not to though when we live it 24/7. Good luck x
  • Posted

The first day I swam in ocean it burned but the next few days it was great. First 2 days I used clobetasol after that I didn't. Salt works for me. It's known to be a natural healer . If I could have gone to a salt water pool I would have. Literally, sitting next to a fan works well too. 😜 I can not get really hot down there, I live in very hot and humid weather. So, I wear boy shorts underneath and athletic friction powder and stay DRY!!! Obviously, I use powder on back side and not right in vaginal area. Find a easy soap I have even used hair conditioner as my wash down there.
  • Posted

I'd only worry about the heat. Don't know how hot is too hot, though. I do know we're not supposed to use hot water on LS area.
    • Posted

Help!!  I didn't know that. I use quite hot water spray down there when showering. It does seem to give much relief at the time and my baking soda sprays after peeing are really warm too! Always use my emu oil after wards.  Anyway the pools are varying degrees, there are three, so I'll go for the nice bath temp. one. 

Thanks for all advice ladies. X 

• Posted

I got that advice from doctors early on. Give it a try. I hope it makes a difference for you!!  xos

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.