Puffy eyes after a mth of carbimazole?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and was put on 15mg of carbimazole. Everything was getting better soon after i started. No more tremors, sweat and fatique etc... 1 mth on carbimazole, I developed puffy eyes! Not bulging/staring though. Just puffy eye bags. This is causing me to feel tired again. Anyone experience it? Is it caused by carbimazole?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Cynth I got this too and it was when I was slipping under (hypo). My dose was adjusted and it got better although I still feel really tired and I have a lymph node infection! Ugh!
  • Posted

Hi Cynth, back then I had puffy eyes too and one of my eyes was actually bigger than the other (or maybe it was slightly bulgier than the other I can't remember). I recall people pointing it out to me saying how weird I looked, like the "bigger" eye had more eye white and it made it look like I was in shock or looked surprised all the time. It was super annoying. I went to the doc and he said it was normal, part of the symptoms from hyperthyroid and it would get better with time. 

It really did in around half a year or so... So, stay patient, calm, and let your symptoms subside by themselves. Don't worry too much and you'll recover before you know it. Don't get too conscious about your eyes. You will be fine!

Take care everyone!

• Posted

hi, I know its been 4 years since you wrote this post.

My left eye lid is puffy and looks abit bulging. Does it really go on its own has your one came back? I am super worried and dont want to even see anyone.

• Posted

yes , i also need the answer , please anyone reply , once your hyperthyroidism is back to normal than your eye also back to normal?

• Posted

carbimazole is an amazing medicine.It works fast but it comes with troubles.I had my issues when i used to take carbimazole like back pain,was feeling really sleepy,bloating and hair loss.the edno said its not of the carbimazole but it was!

its our body trying to adjust to it.but i will tell you this.YOU WILL FEEL BETTER DAY BY DAY GIVE IT A CHANCE YOU WILL FEEL BETTER.

• Posted

Hi all does anyone else get a stiff neck and muscular aches from carbimazole? I am so tired too and when I go to sleep I can't sleep!? The puffy eyes and all the other symptoms are the brakes from the carbimazole and it's dragging us into hypo rather than hyper! I must say I am struggling with it and now taking 2.5 mg daily! Ugh! When can I stop taking the horrible stuff?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.