PUJO

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I am diagnosed with PUJO in Right kidney 3 months back in December 2017 with 80% damage. What should be done. Doctors have advice to remove the kidney but i am terrified. Please say if any treatment is available for recovery of the same . Nephrohydrosis is the case

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I would try to determine if there is a surgeon willing to do a laparoscopic pyeloplasty to remove the obstruction.  It the operation proved impossible your kidney could be removed by extending the laparoscopic surgery,

KenR

• Posted

Jamal, if it were me I would follow the advice of your doctor.  Please do not fear having your kidney removed - I had my right one removed over 60 years ago with no problem.   Kidney removal has come a long way since then - whereas I had a large incision from the front of my body to the back, it can now be done via keyhole surgery so a much shorter stay in hospital and faster healing.  A friend of mine had it done this way two years ago and has felt fine ever since, and she is in her late 70’s.  I do hope that helps to reassure you.
  • Posted

PUJO means Ureto-Pelvic Junction Obstruction. The issue does not end up here. Even the other kidney is 20% working
    • Posted

Ah, Kamal, your latest post puts a different slant on things.  I think the question you need to ask those treating you is if you have the obstructed kidney removed, what can be expected of the remaining kidney?  For example, at 20% function now, is it likely to be further hampered by having to take over the work of two kidneys?  Seek a second opinion if necessary.
    • Posted

You're very welcome, Kamal.  Lots of good luck wishes, and do please come back and let us know how you get on. 

• Posted

Hi Kamal,

I think you will need to provide more explicit information if members of this forum are going to be able to make informed comment.  There is a big difference between 20% remaining within 1 kidney, and 20% remaining with both kidneys working.  I would be surprised to hear of a kidney removal if you have only 20% function remaining!

KenR

• Posted

I am NOT a doctor.  But my understanding of PUJO is that it is a blockage of urine flow out of the kidney.  Usually this is corrected by surgical techniques if the kidney has good function.  But in some cases the kidney is removed if it is poor function.  Certainly you should follow your doctors advice and direction.  Perhaps you want to get a second opinion before you proceed.  This would give you the assurance that the removal is absolutely necessary.  As many on here will tell you that removal of one of your kidneys is something that always causes fear.  But if your other kidney is functioning well that is good news.  While the internet can provide a lot of valuable information it can also give a lot of false hope, misinformation, generalizations.  We can all share our experiences.  Support you with how we each live with our CKD.  Can be good listeners to your concerns.  But in the end it is necessary for you to follow what your medical team advises.  They are not just saying to you we should remove the kidney because they have nothing better to do.  Again, get a second opinion.  Go to a doctor that can access the results of all your already performed tests (scans, blood work, etc.) so you don't have to do that again, and get their advice.

• Posted

I can understand how stressful this must be for you. I would definitely seek out a second opinion. If that opinion is markedly different from what you've already heard, you may wish a third opinion to resolve the differences you are hearing.

But once you have reason to believe that this is the best treatment option for you, you may find it helpful to talk with your nephrologist about what he or she thinks your life will be like following the treatment, e.g., will you be in renal failure and need dialysis or a kidney transplant

This is, no doubt, a lot to absorb at once. So, take a deep breath and then just methodically work your way through the process. 

Marj

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.