Pulmo embolism

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi ,I was diagnosed with multiple pie in both lungs but a large one in my right lung,I was given rivaroxiban to take and then basically sent home ,I still get out of breath and have a constant pain in the heart area like someone is standing on my chest .I have been told hey won't give me an echo cardiogram until 6 months but surely they should prevent heart damage and not wait for it to happen,also how do you know if the blood clots go or get worse ,I feel like no one gives you any answers apart from take blood thinners,can anyone help on what to expect or what I can do to improve quality of life I am only 47 but feel so drained and scared of what might happen 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm surprised they did not do an echo. Typically when you have a pe you might have a right ventricular strain. When I had my pes back in November of 2016 they where small. I was in the hospital a little over a day on heparin shots then sent home on apixban also known as eliquis. Was on for 6 months. Reid ct scan no clots. Redid echo no strain. Been off thinners since may 2017. Do they know what caused yours? Yes you could have breathlessness and pain in the chest still. But the thinners have side effects. While I was on eliquis I always had chest and back pain. Take it slow.

• Posted

thankyou sam i do have chest and back pain ,tired all the time get out of breath  and generally feel down but the hospital just said we know the pe s are there and sends me home ,so just feel like they dont have the money to do tests or care 
  • Posted

Hi,

?That's about the size of it, if no complications they send you on your way, in the doctors opinion, when they commence blood thinning medication you will be fine, that's the attitude I get back from them. You will feel breathless, tired, etc etc  from anywhere from 6 - 12 months. I had to have a heart echo due to increased chest pain as I suffer angina as well, it seems to be a routine test here where I'm from, after being diagnosed with PE's. The only way you will know if your blood clots have dissolved is another contrast CT scan. 

?If your chest pain is persistent don't wait around, always get it checked out at your emergency department. everyone is different, some heal quicker than others and vice versa, others can take longer to heal. Listen to your body, it knows best. I have been told panic attacks are quite common with pulmonary embolisms, I never experienced that part, thankfully. I have been told I will be on blood thinners for life, some are lucky and come off them while others have to remain on them for whatever reasons, mine apparently is I have a hereditary type disposition of them possibly returning. 

• Posted

Thankyou for reply I think I need to get checked out I am up hospital Monday so will go in and explain how bad my pain still are getting x

• Posted

thanx for your reply ,just wondered has anyone had like a pins and needles feeling in their hands or face as a side effect 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.