Pulmonary cement embolism

Posted , 3 users are following.

I thought you all might be interested in something I recently learned at my own expense. In addition to BX I also have a very bad back including osteoporosis. So about 2 months ago I bent over to get something out of the refrigerator and I felt something in my back go. It was 4 compression fractures in my spine.

This past Tuesday I had kyphoplasty done which is where they put cement into the fractures of the to repair them and make them strong again. When the orthopedic surgeon put the cement in a little bit of it got into my artery and it's the little bit of cement follow the blood supply to the heart and into my lungs. Apparently this is a very rare occurrence but it does happen

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear this. I’ve never heard of such a thing! I too have a bad back, osteoporosis & BX as well as fibromyalgia. What can they do about the cement problem at this point and how do you feel? Are you on any medication for the osteoporosis and BX?

• Posted

Do you ever allow anyone to pat you on the back to help loosen the phlegm? Because of my pain I just cannot let my husband do that to me. I recently hired a new pulmonologist and I talked to him about this and he suggested I lean my head and chest over the bed allowing gravity to work. I just wonder what you do.
    • Posted

I have a lot of pain too so I can’t take a hit anywhere. I also can’t lean over the bed because it hurts my lower back to lie on my stomach. What works best for me is standing and bending over with my head down. That seems to loosen things. Then I lie down on my back and take deep breaths, hold, then blow out, followed by huff coughs. That’s what works best for me. Sometimes, of course, nothing works. I hurt all over much of the time from the fibromyalgia and a recent infection that started me coughing constantly, really hurt my ribs. If that ever happens to you, I suggest a wrap around your ribs. Don’t sleep in it but put it on when you do your breathing exercises especially if you have an infection so you don’t  break a  fragile  rib.
    • Posted

Lying on your stomach can do a real number on your lower back. I learned this the hard way once when I was seeing a physical therapist and all he wanted me to do was lay on my stomach and he kind of rubbed my back. It wasn't much and I didn't feel any pain while he was rubbing my back. It wasn't until I went to stand up that the pain hit me so badly I couldn't stand. So I make sure not to ever do that again. I never went back to see him and I let the doctor that referred me to him know what I terrible physical therapist who was.

I do appreciate your suggestions and explanation as to how you do it but I cannot bend over at the hip anymore, that's how I fractured for my vertebrae This Time by bending over.

• Posted

That is terrible.  Hope it doesn’t cause you more trouble and that there is something that can be done. God bless 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.