Pulmonary embolism

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was diagnosed with 2 clots left lung 4 weeks ago.  Cannot get definitive answer from GP re exercise as in what is ok and what not. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello

Best thing listen to your body. Start off walking for a couple of weeks see how that goes then a light jog and just increase the time every week. When you start to hurt or ache just stop don't push through it or you will hurt yourself. Take care

• Posted

Snap😊. This forum is fantastic. Best advice of all .Listen to your body....... I seem to be saying this all the time but is so simple and true. ?

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth. My doctor couldn't tell me either. I am 9 months into recovery. Most days now I don't get breathless at all. 😊 But walking up hill is very hard still. Your body will tell you how much you can do. Don't push yourself too hard. About 3 months ago I would do too much in one day and end up feeling really bad the next day. Slow everything down. I am lucky as I am retired. But for someone working or with a young family to look after it will be hard going. This forum is great any worries and they will give you an honest answer quickly. Anxiety is also a problem. Speedy recovery. Just listen to your body.💐💜

• Posted

Yes, i agree, listen to your body.  I walk every day, even wrapped up in winter. Still cant do hills very well but flat walks are fine. Lizzie, why do we end up with anxiety after this do you think? Some days mine seems better than others.
    • Posted

Hi Ann. pleased to hear from you. I think my anxiety is because I can't see what's happened to my lungs😊 The unknown is always a bit scary. Also I am so aware of any little ache or pain now frightened of a reoccurrence of pe... .

Do you have any lower back pain Ann.?. xx💐?

• Posted

Hi, good to hear how you are getting on. We need to conquer this anxiety, time helps.  I no longer get back pain but find exercising difficult as i get out of breath easily.  Mustn't grumble, could have been so much worse . Good luck to you and do get in touch to let me know your progress, were all in this together!

• Posted

Thank you Anne and we are! And I do not know a single person who is not had anxiety along with this and in fact in my Hospital minor said it was routine for them to start patients on Xanax or some other anti-anxiety drug. I have never taken anything like that in my life but I still do take it because I do find myself obsessing sometimes. I don't know the answer but to me I think it was so frightening because it was so quick and there is always a possibility that it can happen again even with blood thinners. As bad as cancer is, once you have it , you generally have had some symptoms are suspicions before it was diagnosed but that's not how blood clots work. And another thing that makes it hard for a doctor to give a definite answer when you asked him about exercise is that so many people do not survive the initial clot especially if it has gone to their lungs and also so many of those who do survive are not worried about exercise they just want to live and that is certainly legitimate! I do assume that the anxiety will lessen as time goes by and in my case it already has but I will say but everytime I wake up in my chest is hurting it scares the heck out of me all over again! But that doesn't happen much and after going to the emergency room twice and there was absolutely no problem with my lungs or my heart, I try to calm my self and it has yet to get worse actually gets better the calmer I get. And if it means reaching for one of the Xanax then so be it!

• Posted

I came off of apixban about a month ago because i was clot free but im still scared of getting another one. I go for a follow up scan in August to make sure there not back. I had a ct scan about a week ago in the er because i thought i had one but it was negative.
  • Posted

Elizabeth,

As other have said - exercise is good, just pace yourself. I found that if I overdid exercise, I would get a headache. Interesting how all have trouble with hills. I did too, until recently. 

Good luck and speedy recovery.

Peter

• Posted

Elizabeth, my 2 pulmonary embolisms and groin DVT were back in November and I am just now feeling that I can do whatever exercise I was doing before but not to the extent I did before. Your lungs are still healing, your PEs probably are still there. My doctors all told me to wait until a CT scan showed that they were gone and I did. Now I am slowly building back but hopefully I will get there. But if I never get to do long distance hiking again, which was my passion, I am alive and that is a miracle to me. Much love and best wishes to you. Take care of those lungs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.