Pulsating

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi just wondered if anyone suffers from pulsations around their body, like a strong heartbeat and something rushing through your blood? Or palpitations, particularly at the time of the month or ovulation? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I do have palpitations and irregular heartbeat at various times, particularly after increased activity or stress. I went to Gp, who referred me to hospital for stress testing - connecting electrodes to your heart and leg to measure heart rate and pulse, then you have to walk on a treadmill for 5 minutes. Slowly they turn the speed up for another 5 minutes, then another, eventually they increase the incline and test how you manage up a hill etc. All the while the machines trace your heartbeat and blood flow/pulse.

The test triggered an episode in me and I started having heavy palpitations. The test was stopped immediately and I was sent for an echo and diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation. This means the hearts electrical system is not working correctly and occasionally goes into a state where it causes the atrial valve at the top of the heart to flutter for a short period until it settles down. This reduces the amount of blood being pumped around the body until normal rhythm is restored.

Occasionally I have to wear a 24 hour ecg device to do a trace to make sure everything still under control, but it tiny and doesn't disrupt normal activities apart from showering.

These symptoms can be managed with medication so don't panic!

Make an appointment to see your GP and explain your symptoms carefully. It would be helpful if you could keep a diary to show how often, and what activity level you were at the time, etc. These will help him/her decide if you need to be referred to the hospital for tests. Or, at the very least they can put your mind at rest.

Good luck, hope you get an explanation soon.

Julie

• Posted

Hi Julie, 

Thanks so much for your message. 

I actually saw a cardiologist about 5 months ago and had an echocardiogram, stress test and ecg. He said everything is fine. I'm definitely getting more now though. I'm guessing I have thoracic endo and hoping the palpitations are just hormonal imbalances or something. 

Can I ask why showering in particular is difficult for you? I can't take baths at the moment as that really sets it off and I feel poorly when I get out. 

I sometimes get like a full pulsating round my body where I can feel my blood pumping all over and then skipped beats- is this what you mean? It's scary. I think the no knowing is worrying me so much. 

• Posted

I will definitely keep a diary of symptoms. I have noticed they're more likely to happen around ovulation or period though. I also get the strong pulse which last for ages after any exercise. 

• Posted

Hi

After you have a diary you can ask GP to refer you back to cardiologist for more tests. Maybe you need a trace over 3-5 days to see what is happening over a longer period and various activities.  You know your own body so insist you get the right tests.

All the best

Julie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.