Pulse in abdomen-— when is it normal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

32 yr old male, 6"0, 192 lbs here.

Oh a few weeks ago I started experiencing what felt like an acid reflux flare up; (discomfort in my abdomen, pressure below the trachea that resulted in shallow breathing). What was odd was that I’ve been in a restrictive diet for a year now because of a previous acid reflux flare up the year prior. When that happened I decided to really change my diet and work on my overall physical health which has resulted in me losing 100 lbs. there’s just no way my diet could have caused an AF flare up.

Anyway, I went in to urgent care because i started noticing a twitch and pulse in my abdomen around the same time I started feeling the other symptoms. The doctor that saw me asked me if I had any pain and I said I didn’t other that the pressure under my trachea which felt like acid reflux to me. He felt the pulse in my stomach and said he didn’t feel a mass or lump. He explained what an aortic aneurysm is and said I should follow up with my doctor and request an ultrasound just to confirm whether or not I have one.

A few days later I go see my doctor and explain what I was told and that I was recommended an ultrasound. He dismissively said “that’s just your aorta. It pulsates like that from time to time and it’s obvious on thinner people. If you’ve ever felt your pulse in your neck, ears, or wrist, it’s basically the same thing.” He didn’t put in the order for the ultrasound and i felt fine about taking his word for it.

It’s been a few weeks since that appointment and I can still feel and see the pulse in my abdomen. I guess what I want to know from anyone in here if it’s normal for the aorta to be active like that? I do suffer from stress, anxiety, and depression, so I understand that plays into ones heart rate. Been working on keeping it under control but with everything going on at the moment it’s a struggle.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Very unlikely at your age to have an aortic aneurysm. The NHS does not start testing men for them until over 60 and they tend to grow very slowly. Mine was found by chance when having a gall bladder scan in 2000 when I was 65, It was then 3.1 cm and is now 4.4 cm and they tell me that I would be 110 before needing surgery on it at the rate it is growing 😃

I have no symptoms that would have yet made me aware of it.

• Posted

thank you for taking the time to respond.

i have been under a lot of stress and anxiety these past few months so it could very well be related to that. doing my best to just cope with it and be vigilant.

• Posted

I've been wondering, since I'm starting to lower my weight (been at 200 for almost two years now) should I get tested for that?

• Posted

as i understand it you can be any age my nephew was in his late 30s i also have an anerysm but mine is on the arch and awaiting surgery mine was found accidently and measured 5 cm last april 2019 but never any symptoms

• Posted

yeah that was my understanding as well. the doctor in urgent care did say that I didnt fit the typical candidate for something like this and also said that it could very well just be normal for my aorta.

i do regret not being more forceful in the follow up and asking for the ultrasound when the doctor said it wasnt necessary. everyone there just looked so tired and i didnt want to add to their already strenuous workload and demands of the job. tried setting up a physicall exam but theyre not taking those appointments because of COVID.

• Posted

if you get extreme pain get to hospital but try and chill out a bit stress is not good for anyone did you have your blood pressure done

• Posted

BP has been in the normal range everytime; with the exception of the urgent care visit when it was at 140. but thats because i was still on edge when i got there since i was basically at the brink of a panic attack. other than that its been fine and doctors havent flagged it as something to keep an eye out for; though ive been doing that anyway just in case.

ive been doing my best to just chill out. sometimes my mind wanders and i become fixated on the pulsating which in my bead becomes even more profound than it probably is.

• Posted

Hi, my suggestion is for you to do an ultrasound.

Pulsating abdomen can be normal but that was actually the 1st symptom I had before discovering my Thoracic Aneurysm. I'm 41 and thin also. I knew it was something different from ever before, cause the visible pulsating abdomen was there everytime and not only during exercise. Very very visible!

Get an ultrasound just in case and you will be relaxed for sure after. Good luck!

• Posted

thanks! definitely plan on asking for one. unfortunately because or covid19 my PCP is not taking any appointments for physicals so that will have to wait.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.