Pure panic when I first go into Afib

Posted , 7 users are following.

Spent 5 days in the hospital recently with afib they zap me back into Rhythm it lasted 2 weeks but came back this last time I went into afib I was in pure panic once it started heart rate high feeling in the throat had to cough a lot I really thought I was going to die I was at the Point of hysterics almost called 911 I took an Eliquis and a Xanax and and a beta blocker if call me down I'm still in afib have been for about 2 hours but now I'm so scared of getting another one and I'm going into a panic mode has anyone out there experience this and what do you do when you first go to A-fib and you start feeling bad thanks for your input

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

so sorry to hear that, it is the worst feeling in the world isnt it? why cant you call the hospital back and tell them about it? maybe you need the ablation treatment where they burn off the faulty wiring in your heart? I had this done a few years back and touch wood, have been ok since. wish you all the best but I dont think you should suffer in silence as it must be having a really bad effect on you and yours
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply I called my doctor and he told me to take an extra beta blocker but I'm still in afib now for 7 hours and my heart is just jumping all over the place but my heartbeat is slower I have a doctor's appointment in 2 days with them but I don't know if I can take this feeling for that long I'm going to have to look into some treatments because I cant take this ..

• Posted

This may sound a bit off the beaten path, but for me it has worked and it is based on the vagus nerve misbehaving and causing the afib.

Get some magnesium oil and spray it on the front of your neck, on both sides and be liberal in the amount. Then gently rub it in.

The magnesium is absorbed into the tissues of the neck and seems to relax the vagus nerve, after about 15 minutes. During this time, relax sitting down with your elbows on your knees, breathe evenly and just relax.   

Frank

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your panic.

I am 73yrs old and have suffered with A-fib for many years.

I've taken meds that seem to help then seem to make it worse.

I know that even through you suffer from A-fib that you don't have to die from it.

I am unable to have any of the presedures done because I have COPD and its very severe.

When in A-fib it affects my breathing and my energy.

I go about my life and rest when I must, I keep on keeping on, with medications that like I said seem to work some of the time.

You are young and do not have to live with A-vib find out what your options are and have them done, is the advise that I would give you. Many people suffer with A-vib.

Stay calm, don't worry there are some awesome doctors that can help you.

Take Care

• Posted

Terry, your reply was sweet, compassionate and informative. So sorry you are going through CoPD too. You have the right attitude: Kerp in Keeping on. Best to you! 
    • Posted

Thanks Terry this is fairly all new to me I don't know how you've dealt with it this long I hope it's time goes by I learned to live with it but right now I'm so scared thanks for your reply I hope you're feeling good

• Posted

My Dear  Derrick, 

I am truly sorry you have experienced such worries. I hope you are feeling a little better. I think you were very calm and logical through it. Well done, you. 

There is another post for a-Fib folks and you can get some more support in addition to this one. It’s called HealthUnlocked . 

https://healthunlocked.com/afassociation

• Posted

Also try healthunlocked a support site for a-Fib. 
  • Posted

Thanks for your input I took a zanax and calmed down a bit Im still In afib about 6 hours now But The panic feeling when it first starts is terrifying it's almost like I'm afraid to go anywhere after this Is anyone on a anxiety med for this I truly felt like I was dying

• Posted

Hi. My PAF frequently lasts 8-10hrs, and my record is up at 26 hrs. Please dont panic! Settle yourself and try to chill a bit. Yes, its unpleasant and if you're advice is to take blockers, you need to follow that and rest to let them slow your pace. Do you take blood thinners? Have you had that discussion with your Doc? Once you know you are having an episode, try to "go with it" rather than fight it. Youve had a few, so you know now how your body reacts. Its easy to say this, but getting anxious is fighting against yourself, and managing your episode will work better than fighting it. Talk through the options with your Doc and consider what might work best for you. Folks on this forum are a great support mechanism - theres always someone out there to offer words of advice or support. Take a deep breath - we are all here on this rocky road, with you.

• Posted

Yes I'm on blood thinners but once I feel my heart starting to race a little bit I go full-blown panic I don't know what to do I feel like maybe I should go for a walk and try to exercise it out but I'm scared to all I want to do is lay in bed I try to sleep I've talked to my doctor but it still worries me terribly

• Posted

Ok, good. So your thinners will be mitigating a big part of the Afib risk - clot and stroke. With that aspect being addressed, follow your instinct and do what your body wants. If its to rest and chillout through the episode, then do that. By aiming to take control back, your episodes may become less severe. Stress can be a contributory factor - try to reduce the factors one by one. Food can trigger me, as many on this forum report. Maybe - bit by bit - find small ways to "beat" your episodes. Take that rest. If it calms down in 6 hrs instead of 8, youve scored a victory. Small yes, but no less significant in helping you to change your mindset and regaining control. That helpless feeling is one of the worst, but in time, the little wins add up and you too can turn that corner of helplessness that we all need to aim for. Keep going Derrick. Youre moving through the physical processes - the mindset WILL follow as you learn more about this very annoying issue.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your response it really does help to listen to people that have been through it I will take your advice and try it thanks again
  • Posted

Yes I'm on blood thinners but once I feel my heart starting to race a little bit I go full-blown panic I don't know what to do I feel like maybe I should go for a walk and try to exercise it out but I'm scared to all I want to do is lay in bed I try to sleep I've talked to my doctor but it still worries me terribly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.