Purple grey discoloration after 2 days of clob ointment

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey there, 

I’m newly diagnosed with LS and had a biopsy 3 weeks ago that confirmed. My doctor prescribed clob ointment every day for a week and then twice a week for the rest of my life for maintenance. Once I Was diagnosed I found this forum and saw women who were taking the natural route so I tried that. I rinsed after peeing, used coconut oil to moisturize, started taking a multivitamin and cut out gluten and refined sugar and carbs. My symptoms were already very mild with just a small white spot and some tenderness on my Perinum after sex so I thought this might be sufficient. I didn’t necessarily see an improvement in symptoms going the natural route but they didn’t get any worse and no flare ups or spreading of the whiteness (the coconut oil has been great tho) Even though my doctor said to do a full week of treatment first I started with just 2 days of clob to see how I reacted. My last use of clob was 3 days ago and I took a mirror to see how everything is looking down there and I noticed that my inner labia and surrounding area which usually is very pink is now a purplish grey color. Also, my biopsy site which was almost completely healed and pink is now a raised scar that is deep purple. I am hoping that the pinkness comes back. There is no pain but I really am sad about the discoloration and it is affecting my comfortability with my body and sex. I’m also experiencing slight soreness. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I ditch the clob and go the natural route? Is this normal at the beginning of treatment and eventually clears up? Any answers are welcomed please I’m freaking out that it will now look like this forever.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi alyshia- what a heart breaking condition this can be, I totally relate to your frustration. The bruisy look could be from sex, as the clobetasol can thin skin and make it prone to bruising. I personally think clobetasol is ridiculously potent at first and then becomes this evil medication because although it is suppose to keep the condition from advancing, not everyone has success with it. My believe through research and talking to others who take steroid cream is that long term heavy use of corticosteroids keeps us in a compromised health. I know some may not share my view. So I say use clobetasol only as needed and not too aggressively as it can also create a dependency by the body, causing your immune system to weaken. My doctor said to use every day for 3

Weeks when I have a flare up then go down to 2x per week then only as needed after a flare up. 3 weeks feels crazy to me so I just did 3x per week then down to 2, then 1x per week. Now only once in a while to keep LS at bay. Seems to help. Clobetasol is the #1 most potent steroid out there in the market and can have bad side effects. It’s anti inflammatory so if  you can find natural ingredients that are also inflammatory, including what you eat, I believe this can help immensely. Maybe try twice a week and supplement with coconut oil, baking soda washes, and continue with your healthy diet. Then go down to less often? Since we have an auto immune condition it’s really important we try to keep stress at bay, eliminate sugar etc. hopefully it’s just a bruise and it will fade a bit and get back to normal. I’m also new to the group and studying all the different ways, through the “experts” in the forum that I can heal myself naturally. So far feeling hopeful. Best to you and feel free to write anytime. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response! I am going to try the borax/baking soda soaks and will update 
  • Posted

Hi alyshia, when you are first diagnosed it is important to use the Clob as directed. Why? Because you are flaring and you need to get your symptoms under control asap and that is why its best to follow your Drs advice...at first....however, I believe that once you have got your LS under control you can then look at alternatives, something more natural.  

I think if you start using the Clob every day for a week, then alternate days, then weekly.  There is no rigid time frame for this, we all react differently and to be honest, I would consider using it twice a day for a week as the sooner you get your symptoms under control the sooner you can stop using it and try something else, an alternative.  I believe this is why your LM is looking purple/grey and the Steroid cream should hopefully bring it back to a pink.   I only use the Steroid cream for emergencies now, although some women do use the Steroid cream weekly for maintenance.

There is a thread called 'experiment with Borax' which some women swear by for helping keep things under control, if you do a search for it I think you will find it interesting.

I read that in some cases that women with a dark discolouration on their Vjay changed all that when they started using Borax, it went back to a healthy pink.  

So, my advice is to use the Clob for now, and get hold of some Borax.  

Nancy that posts on here, has a very good thread on nutrition etc which is definitely worth reading.

• Posted

Thank you so much! I am going to continue with treatment how the doctor ordered as I have not seen an improvement in my white spots but I will be trying baking soda/borax baths as well. Hopefully this helps 
  • Posted

Hi Alyshia- I am 12 days diagnosed and fo not hv access to steroid cream yet as my Dr. Went on 6 weeks leave. I left on vacation ( non- refundable airpkane ticket 🙄wink , so I hv ONLY been  using homeopathic treatment -Eumaid Maxx and a vitamin based Moisture barrier. My itching has gone from 10-1/2, my pain has gone from 12-1. It got a little more irritated when I got  my period on Thursday, but symptoms are pretty much under control. I cut out sugar, red wine, nuts and wheat products and am following a low- oxalate diet. I drink tons of water and re- apply all everytime I pee. 

I don’t hv a Dr appt until July 24, so I an doing the best I can on my own. The people on this forum have given lots of great advice! 

I have been watching Dr Goldstein’s lecture and am concerned that without steroid treatment, the homeopathis treatments are not penetrating through alm the layers to attack the T- cell issue that caused this disease in the first place? That is a conversation I will hv with my Dr. When I return from vacation. And I haven’t had sex since May due to the pain and inflammation- husband’s semen seems to make it worse! TMI,  I know, but it gets raw and painful for weeks afterward. 

Good luck to you! 

• Posted

Hi Karen thank you for your response! I did also notice some irritation with my partner’s as well. How do I access the Goldstein lecture? Is it on YouTube? I think initially it’s important to continue treatment but I will be trying the borax/baking soda to see if that helps with discoloration 
    • Posted

Hi Karen! I’ve said it before in the forum and I’ll say it again but differently. Clobetasol is dangerously strong and can cause major problems if overused. My husband is proof but I won’t get into that. First, use the tiniest bit in the white areas only, don’t re apply more than once a day and ALWAYS wash your hands after use as steroids get into your entire system. That’s why some people end up with skin reactions in other areas because it spreads through the system. Just use it and other steroid creams sparingly and only when needed and continue with natural approaches. 
  • Posted

Hi Alyshia,

Just putting this out there so you know about it; it may not pertain to you but it certainly was an issue for me.  I discovered my body does not tolerate Clobetasol; the symptoms that appeared were even worse than the mild case of lichen sclerosis that I have.  I have very sensitive skin and it reacts to a lot of things; I can no longer use Clobetasol.  The same thing happened with Protopic; I can no longer use it.  I've been using Diflorasone Diacetate for a few years now and it works fine; I only use a few times a week.  One thing I've learned is that I can't over-use anything, or it may cause issues for sensitive skin.  

• Posted

So true. You can't just slather on the Clobe or Anything else..seems like the more the better but it's just the opposite. A little goes a long way! I over did at first and felt like I burned my skin..all recovered but wish I knew more than I did at the time.

• Posted

That’s what I’m afraid of in trying the steroid. Using homeopathic right now until I see the Dr. July 24. I’m one of those Murphy’s Law People- if it can happen , it does. Toxic Shock from Tampons- got it, Mono more than once ( very rare), got it twice, the lost goes on! I hv a dreading feeling I will be one of the few that it makes worse instead of better! Will add your medication to my list of questions for the Dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.