Pursing my lips cause my left eye lid to move (repeatable)

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, I don't typically post because I can usually find the answer online but unfortunately this time I cannot find a single article or anything that I can relate too.

I'll just get right to the issue and I'll give some back story after. When I purse my lips (like you would to drink water, blow a kiss, say the letter B, say the letter W... saying the word JEEP....) My left eye lid moves! It only happens when I'm moving my lips and I can make it happen on command! It won't happen unless I move my lips. I just purse my lips and my left eye lid follows! It feels just like an eye twitch but its not a normal twitch, it feels like (and looks like) someone is pulling my inner eye lid skin slightly downwards. It only happens in one movement (meaning when I purse my lips my eye lid does one quick twitch , it moves down and then right back to its normal state, it doesn't stay down if I keep my lips pursed, it doesn't continue to twitch. I can repeat 100 times, each time I get the same movement its like the two nerves are connected!

I'm beginning to think its never going to go away. Now, don't get me wrong. Its not as annoying as your typical eye twitch that you cant control because you literally can sit still and it will twitch, I've had that several time before they always go away but this time is different, I CAN control this one and it has me concerned. Especially because it seems like this is not common.

Backstory: Weeks ago, I noticed the sensation of my eye twitching. This was nothing new, I was used to this as my eyes have twitched a bunch before so I didn't think much of it. A week ago I was over my friends and I noticed it kept happening. I then noticed it would happen each time I drank my water! I then proceeded to narrow down what I was doing to cause it and well it was my lips! Ever since I discovered that pursing my lips causes this twitch movement it has become SO MUCH WORSE! Idk if its because I'm aware of it now or what but its so noticeable and I find myself purposely doing it & hoping it will stop. I'm worried, part of me thinks I should wait a month and hopefully it will go away but idk for some reason I feel like there might actually be something wrong with me. I plan to go to the doctors but I don't want to run straight there.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

Thanks, Jake

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Its a problem with the facial nerves and muscles and is called Myokymia. It also can start to happen when swallowing.

Thought to be caused by stress or caffeine, or over tiredness, especially in those who have had eyelid twitching in the past. it usually sorts itself out in time.

However, if it gets worse or it troubles you, then do see your doctor. There is treatment but I think any doctor might want to investigate any other possible underlying cause first.

• Edited

I experience this too, you are not alone! I don't believe myokymia is an accurate description of this at all, since it is not an uncontrolled twitch, more like a controlled muscle movement that shouldn't happen anatomically speaking. I'll post if I find anything else!

• Edited

Hey! Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the exact same thing & cannot find anything online.

• Edited

Hey Jake

I have the exact same thing, down to the word "JEEP"!

Have you had any luck with your investigation?

I was diagnosed with Marcus Gunn syndrome (also known as winking eye syndrome) from my ophthalmologist however I am not entirely sure this is correct. With Marcus Gunn, the eyelid usually lowers completely when opening the mouth. I have never found anything even close to what I have until I came across your post here. You have described exactly what I have. I find it incredibly irritating and feel self conscious about it too. I noticed it when I was 15, I am 28 now and it hasn't gone away. I can't help but think perhaps there's just one muscle that could be injected with a botox and the twitch would stop altogether, but I have no clue what is really causing it. I also have an eyelid ptosis to the opposite eye, do you have anything like that too? it's really nice to fine someone else in the world describing something I thought only I experienced. Thank you. Luna

• Posted

I had to make an entire account to contribute to this convo.

I have this EXACT. SAME. TWITCH. ive narrowed it down to it being correlated to the movement of specifically my upper lip. Any movement that brings my upper lip downward, also brings my (right) upper eye lid downwards too, and its a voluntary function.

I first noticed mine a few years ago. I was undergoing a stressful transition point of my life, and was also not sleeping consistently. I developed an involuntary twitch in my lower lid on the same eye, and it was constantly bringing my lower lid inward and upward at random, about two twitches a second. It lasted for about three months, during which time my upper lid on the same eye would twitch randomly too, but less frequent than the lower.

Eventually the lower lid stopped, and only twitches on occasion now, but I was left with this slight, voluntary twitch in my upper eye. And I have no clue what it could be, all I know is that it worries me, as certain facial weakness or paralysis conditions begin with slight twitches. Who knows, maybe we can name it ourselves and officially discover a new physical ailment. Woohoo!

• Posted

Hi,

I'm also having this problem and cant find anything online. This problem developed for me about 3 weeks ago and i'm not sure why. I can't find anything online and it's also a controlled eye twitch, whenever I pucker my lips or frown, moving my upper lip in general... it will make my lower left eyelid twitch. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not since it's a controlled eye twitch, but it hasn't gone away.

• Posted

Hi! 2024 here and hoping to see if anyone has gotten any updates on their twitch? Ive had mine for about 3 years now. Got MRI's to rule out any brain issues or tumors and all came back clear. I was told Botox might be the treatment for this which I have my appointment tomorrow to see if the doctor thinks it's an option. will keep you all posted!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.