Push ups, sit ups and taekwondo sparring vs AAA

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

Just wanted to get some opinions on taekwondo martial arts training and if it will negatively affect my ascending aortic aneurism. 

It’s currently and been at 4.4cm since being diagnosed 4 years ago. I stopped any type of weightlifting, moving anything heavy, I quit smoking cigars and I dropped 42 lbs so far. 

I am looking to get back into taekwondo, which for those that aren’t familiar with the training, it’s a lot of cardio....kicking, stretching, fast moving, forms, self defense and sparring. 

The sparring is done with full gear, typically light contact. There are push ups and sit-ups and running some laps around the dojo involved with the cardio training. I’ve spoken with the instructors who know me like family, they assured me the adults are not pushed anywhere near as hard as the teens/20-30 somethings. I’m pushing 50, I want to drop more weight and improve my cardio and overall health but i am concerned about pushing too hard. 

Thoughts? 

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.