Put a claim in for PIP and been waiting 2 weeks and still not received forms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

​I am 26 years of age, when i was a child my mother use to receive DLA for me as i am a dwarf.

​I currently tried to put a claim in for PIP as now im older things are alot more of a struggle.... IE constant back pain and struggling to walk and the pain it causes.

​I phoned and put in a claim two weeks ago and im still yet to recieve the forms... is this the normal?

​Also i know PIP contact your GP but because i do not have an illness or its not something that can be managed by medication i am a dwarf and will always be one... nothing a doctor or anyone can do i havent been to the doctors regarding my condition... apart from 4 years ago when the back problems occured.

​Help needed please.

​Thank you

Natalie

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 10-14 days is normal.  I do wonder where their post goes to wait before actually making it to our letter boxes!  Mine was 16 days.  If it doesn't arrive early next week I think you should contact them again.  They'll normally grant a two week extension to the return date so that's worth considering if you do receive it very late.

As for them contacting your GP this is unlikely.  They ask for permission to contact them but rarely do.  You might be better to get some statements from friends or family who help you explaining what they do.  Or, if you have seen a physio or similar for help for for your back pain then try to get a letter of support from them.  

It is difficult to get medical evidence if you're not receiving treatment.  The assessment should be based on how your condition affects you rather than the condition itself, and to a certain extent you are therefore at an advantage because they will see that you have the condition that you claim to have as soon as you walk into an assessment so you won't need your gp to provide evidence of that.  It's difficult for anyone to get medical evidence from a gp for the tasks considered in the assessment.  They don't see you getting in and out of the bath or having difficulty preparing food etc.  Often gp support letters will only confirm diagnosis and medication and then they'll be ignored by the assessor anyway.  I apologise, I'm a little cynical about the whole process.

You need to read the descriptors and the points and make sure your form explains how and why your condition makes the activities difficult or impossible.  It's pointless listing things that you find difficult if they're not included in the descriptors.  For example getting up and down stairs isn't relevant, using an oven isn't relevant.

• Posted

Not receiving any form of treatment for the condition or that the treatment ceased more than 12 months ago will not help your case.

Of course it will be obvious to the assessor that you have a birth defect, but having that will not by itself give you any points.

Go through the descriptors picking out the ones that you believe you should score points with. Then explain in full details why. In your case the quality of the claim form is paramount. Not having any corroborative evidence to back up what you say will make things difficult.

Think about it this way, I could say that the pain I am in and despite the copious amounts of restricted drugs that are prescribed (Morphine, Gabapentin etc) I am doubled up in agony 24/7. That obviously will be a gross exaggeration and as no one can prove the case one way or the other, the DWP will be looking to a health professional (GP, Consultant at the pain clinic etc) to confirm what I say. Without that confirmation it will be up to the DWP assessor to decide whether I am being totally honest or not. And we all know what their opinion would be!

• Posted

Hi Natalie, I suggest you ring them Monday at 8 am, you should have had them back by now and if you havet you need to know why.

Your state of health is caused by a genetic birth problem so you don't need another illness to back it up, you are suffering due to your dwarfism, that's enough to cope with on its own.

The fact you havent and don't spend all your time at the DR's also shouldn't stop you being considered for PIP, its all to do with how you cope on a daily basis and it can't be easy, if you need help filling out the forms when you get them ask, there are many organizations that are now clued up on the ins and outs of the pip procedure.

Also go see your Dr and explain you are applying for this benefit and the reasons why.

• Posted

A good idea to get the GP in the loop, but I do wonder how you would explain to him/her what your reasons are for wanting to claim the benefit. Some GP’s aren’t particularly helpful when it comes to them be asked to get involved with claiming benefits – they are only human and some do have negative opinions about benefit claimants being ‘scroungers’, if you were to tell him/her that the reasons is down to getting more money!

Of the five GP’s at my surgery two will not be helpful (unless they are obliged to under their NHS contract), they have errr opinions best suited to be published in the Daily Mail!

• Posted

they don't always contact Dr they use there own now to do assessment you should of had your forms by now if I was you I would ring them and explain you haven't received them as you don't get long to send forms back now xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.