Put off surgery too long, now kidney damage

Posted , 3 users are following.

My GP told me over a year ago to get prolapse surgery for a bad cystocele. I didn't because of circumstances and it got worse and had some bleeding off and on the past few months. Went to a gynecologist last month and had an endometrial biopsy (OK), and uterine sonogram also OK. Surgeon said mine was too bad and referred me to a urogynecologist. That one would not accept my insurance. Yesterday found a urologist who does pelvic reconstruction and He was more thorough. Stage 4 cystocele, stage 2 rectocele, enterocele, uterine prolapse all the way out and vault prolapse! 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Continuing, Then the Urologist did a ultrasound of my bladder and kidneys. One kidney is 50% damaged and the other slightly due to blockages caused by the prolapse. So now I really need the surgery. Live in East Texas USA. He wants to do a sling procedure using a biologic graft from sterilized cadaver tissue and I was wondering if anyone out there has had that done and if there were complications? I go in next week for a cystogram and bladder performance test next week. I feel kind of wierd about that kind of biologic graft.
    • Posted

Hi Janet,

So sorry to hear that your prolapse is so advanced.

I do not know anything of this procedure but I'm sure matron will be on forum soon and will know of this.

When I was first referred to gynocology, I too put off having the op... try ed a pessary for a while but couldn't get size right and kept popping out, don't drive and was working in opposite direction so not easy to drop into clinic to refit, and difficult to get on phone.

By the time I realized would have to get op and got my date for admission a year had passed and needed hysterectomy and anterior repair.

Looking back wish I had went for op sooner rather than later, may have minimized the damage, as it only gets worse overtime.

Hope all goes well for you when you have your surgery. Recovery takes quite a while and you need to really rest and take progress very slowly.

Good luck,

Phyl 💖

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I think I dread the husterectomy more than the prolapse repairs. I've read some women get depredded, forgetful, have personality changes, weight gain and joint pain following hysterectomy. It was a large study of 1000 post - hysterectomy ladies and the percentages werew quite high for these side-effects >50%!  I am so scared because my husband is disabled and I do not have my "final"  affairs in order. I"m 66 and hubby is 78. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Hi Janet,

I stared the menopause before my hysterectomy, so think I already had some of these symptoms: was depressed at idea of no more babies ( not that I really wanted any), gaining weight due to prolapse and unable to do all activities at gym, already forgetful anyway, and as for personality change had already undergone that when menopause started (think that was actually an improvement).

I might be wrong but would have thought that those symptoms are associated with pre-menopausal women?

I have found the repair much more difficult to deal with as prolapse itself changes your lifestyle and repair means always being aware and extra careful if doing anything that may cause another prolapse.

Have you planned/thought about what kind of help is available while you are in recovery? How independent is your hubby?

I think it's great that you have reached 66 without having need of any of this kind of surgery you must have strong ligaments.

Good luck for future,

Phyl xx💖

• Posted

Hi Janet    I had a cystocele for years...had op 5 years ago and it didn't work so this time I had mesh with pigs skin graft!  So far so good and I am at 8 weeks today......Obviously you are having much more done than me but I know I have a 70% chance of this working. Good luck
    • Posted

I'm doing to ast the urologist if he is willing to use pig-skin (porcine) instead of cadaver. I would feel better about that. Thank you.
    • Posted

Janet ,

what is the difference between porcine and cadaver?

Phyl

• Posted

Porcine is pig. Cadavaer is recovered from human corpse. Dr. said it is sterilized and cells and DNA removed. still...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.