Putting on weight

Posted , 7 users are following.

Have had cfs for a very long time and am finding that my weight is constantly going up very slowly but surely.

I've tried to diet but every time I cut my calorie intake I quickly get very ill and feel I have to give up.

I've succeeded in losing weight in the past but only at the cost of long-term catastrophic relapse. Does anyone have any tips?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

dont worry about it until you are better ... most people lose weight but i too have put on many pounds ..its depressing as i dont even eat that much but most important is to get better . we can deal with the weight later

• Posted

The best way to lose weight is to cut out everything that is white (carbohydrates): flour, sugar, pasta, potatoes, etc. Do this Sunday through Friday and then on Saturday, eat your carbs. In a simplistic explanation, carbohydrates turn to sugar, which turns to fat.

You can continue to cut 500 to 1,000 calories per day to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. Limiting your carbs may make it easier for you to cut calories and lose weight, but you shouldn't eliminate them all. Some carbohydrate-containing foods, such as fruits like bananas and raisins — which are rich in potassium and non-starchy (green) vegetables, are actually beneficial for weight loss. The key is to cut out the less healthy sources of carbs (the white cards I described) while increasing your lean protein intake.

If you can keep your carb intake to between 75-100 carbs a day, I guarantee, you will lose and keep the weight off. My wife and I have been doing it for over 20 years.

• Posted

I've had it for about 11 years so far. My weights has fluctuated over the years, but when I was gaining weight for a long period of time, I increased my research into diet. From this (at the time) I cut down on my bread consumption and increased the amount of food I ate that was known to increase your metabolism. Lemon juice does this (so I would drink lemon water throughout the day. Matcha green tea powder also does this (this type of tea has other general health benefits too), so I'd have a matcha green tea at the start of most days. I had these every day for a few months and changed little else and over a few months I lost 1-2 lbs a month.

• Posted

Hi James,

I've put on the lbs over the years from being so inactive but still eating the same amount as before CFS/ME.

Last year I decided to diet in that I ate the same things just smaller portions. I lost a stone and a bit. Great.....except with eating less I felt really unwell, my CFS symptoms felt worse than ever. Christmas came and I ate too much and have continued to do so, have put on half a stone but actually my symptoms have lessened..... I have no idea if eating less made me worse or if I would have had a flare up anyway.

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks for your replies everyone - some useful comments there. I think the main thing for me is to cut out bread (which I seem to be addicted to) and also to stop snacking.

I think I snack so much partly because I'm so bored from inactivity. I've recently started doing a bit of exercise after a long bad period so maybe it will help.

I'm not looking forward to disciplining myself though, and I suppose I have to risk a relapse.

• Posted

hi James,

You say don't snack but sometimes this helps. I keep a bag of mixed nuts and popcorn out of the cupboard so when i'm bored and need to pick, these are the first things i see and i can just graze.

don't know about anyone else but i seem to get really hungry then i've ever done before.

I hate that i cant exercise but i'm making little changes every week or month.

I'm having to accept that i may put pm a little weight during this tine.

Good luck

• Posted

Good idea about the nuts Caroline - much better than the massive sandwich I usually end up making!

I often get really hungry too. Sometimes when I'm starting to get very depressed, I eat to compensate. I suppose it does help sometimes.

• Posted

Calorie controlled diets do not work and this is why every person that does this either fail or just put more weight back on.

Which types of diets have you tried?

Low Carb is the one you really want look at the likes of Keto or Carnivore.

Key is on low Carb diets you only need to eat 1-2 times a day but eat until you are full.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.