Putting on weight

Posted , 6 users are following.

I suffer from IBS this was mostly D but has been more C and D lately. Unrelated to the IBS i am quite skinny, not underweight or a unhealthy low BMI but i would really like to build some muscle, the best way to do this is obviously consume more calories than you burn off, a quick way is to consume proteins such as whey powder etc but I have an extremely active metabolism and sensitive bowel.

i was just wondering if anyone in my position had any tips for gaining weight without upsetting my bowels?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have the same problem so can't be much help.I have found that my gut tolerates porridge 'tho.

Have porridge for breakfast with almond milk,slivered almonds,prunes,sultanas,Chobani yoghurt,cinnamon,tumeric.Haven't gained much weight (1kilo-lol) but haven't lost weight.

There are plenty of protein supplements on the market but because they contain so many ingredients

that can irritate my gut have'nt used them too.

Hope there are some other helpful answers.

• Posted

do you have a dietitian that you see? i would be asking them about a fortified diet. you may need more calories but to fortify your diet too. there are ways of doing this but if you're underweight then someone professional needs to be helping you.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies, no i don't see a dietician as i'm not classed as underweight, my BMI is healthy, i just want to gain some weight as i'm very skinny.

i'm happy to go out and give whey protein ago but worried about the impact on my stomach thats all.

Thanks Sarah i'll give your breakfast options ago!

• Posted

the best thing to do is to just eat more of your 'safe' foods- slowly increase your portion sizes. if you are just interested in increasing your weight, then it doesn't matter what foods you increase. if you want to build muscle however, you will need to increase your protein and carb intake and get on a good weightlifting program.

I wouldn't bother with protein powders, they give normal guts issues, so for people with IBS they are a nightmare!

• Posted

I'd recommend using a vegan protein powder as dairy commonly irritates bowels. I buy one that is made up of a third pea protein, a third rice protein and a third soya and it includes all essential amino acids in it, which is helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.