Putting shoes on

Posted , 13 users are following.

At 3 months post op I am managing most things apart from fastening my trainers.Have just ordered some elastic laces.Anyone got any ideas about this avoiding bending at the waist too much

Janet

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there i just tie laces on my trainers as loose

as I can before I slip my feet into them then

off I go works for me .keep healing .🙋👍

• Posted

I purchased a pair of sketcher sneakers that have the no tie lacing. I think the official name might be bungee lacing. So essentially they are slip on's and are nice and snug. Quite comfortable for use during recovery. I'm doing in-home PT for the first 2 weeks but will be going out for PT starting early November. For my right leg, operated leg, I slip foot into shoe and then lift leg to the little ledge/framing on my bed. I can then reach down to put sneaker on the rest of way. If I'm sitting on sofa I'll lean forward and slip sneaker on. I think I've been a bad girl and have gone past my 90 degree angle limits on some occasions but thankfully have felt fine. I'm coming to terms, (acceptance), that this is surely a long drawn out process of rehabbing no matter how good we feel there are going to be good days and bad days. That's better than pre-surgery for me. I used to say I have bad days and worse days. I think it's the hidden part- the muscles, bone, implants that have to settle in and get right and that's the long wait and they do that simply over time. Happy healing all!!

• Posted

yes acceptance to the healing process!! I too have over extended myself thank god no problems but keep reminding myself of the pain I was in prior To surgery so this is doable - thank god for technology today - heal well
  • Posted

Tennis shoe that slide with  low back. It's only for a short time . IN a few months when I could bend better shoes with Velcro straps worked best for me. It's so annoying now I always had many types of shoes that have low back to just slide in. It wasn't worth all the frustration and time to get regular shoes on. 

• Posted

Is there a Decathlon near by? I have been buying their "ballet" shoes which have an domesticated strap with a Velcro fastening. I can get these on and off very easily without bending. They are extremely comfortable, like slippers in fact but not completely flat.

• Posted

Predictive text! Urgg. Should be elasticated strap.
    • Posted

Ha ha! Just been to my surgeon at 3months post op and he said do whatever you want but be aware of the 90° rule.So that rules out bending to fasten shoes! Think Velcro might be the way to go but makes me feel old lol I am 64!

Hoping the elastic laces work as it is a shame not to use she's I already have.

Thanks for all your replies.What a great forum! Helped me through 3 months of ups and downs.

Janet x

• Posted

I'm confused 😭😭😭 I thought you could bend past 90D after 3 months. When will I ever be be normal????????

• Posted

Hi,

Seems to depend on surgeon.Hesaid be waryIf it hurts take note.I asked if this was forever but didn't get a straight answer!I think when bone grows around the new hip it will be ok?

I have a friend who has had his hip for 20 years.He has fallen off his bike several times and come to no harm so theres hope you lol

Janet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.