PVC or something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I had a scary episode last night. With my pvcs it's usually just one hard thud that makes me lose my breath for a second. Last night I felt the normal hard beat but then it felt like my heart got stuck in a irregular rhythm for like 10 seconds after almost like a fluttering but there were two different beats happening at the same time. I've never felt that before and it was really concerning sad I was wondering if that could still be a PVC? Can pvc sometimes knock your heart out of rhythm? I wanted to also add that I do have SVT but my SVT is fast and stays in normal rhythm. This felt fast and out of rhythm.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear amy

Sorry to hear of your recent concerns.

I too get the experience you describe on a very regular basis.

My cardiologists dismiss any irregularities I describe to them but they are very scary because yoy don't know if its going to return to normal and even a few seconds of it can feel like a very ling time.

I am a 54 year old male and have had irregular heartbeats for 5 years mainly bigeminy but despite tests they can't find anything they are concerned about and I am told to just live with it.

Easier said than done.

Good luck for the future.

Gap

• Posted

Hi there, this ius how my panic attacks,health anxiety and panic disorder Started...going into high alert mode when having palpitations! It really can affect your life. At least you've seen cardiologists and they're not concerned...my doctor just shrugs when I say to you think its down to menopause? Not very reassuring lol. I'm getting better at not having a full on panic when it happens and I don't dwell on it for hours/days like I used to, but I still get that instant high alert reaction. I think most people would though, its alarming! I keep telling myself that its happened loads over 2 years and I'm still here! The thing is though, if it was caused by a heart problem its best to know because they can do so much with the heart, but I guess if my ecgs had shown any indication of that I've seen a cardiologist...this is how it plays on the mind! Lol

• Posted

Hi Amy, this happened to me a couple of months back, its scary isn't it? Normally its one thud or an extra or missed beat which makes me instinctively cough, bit that once if was more of a feeling of a flutter over 10 seconds. Horrible! I've had normal ecgs apart from one which showed up something yo do with atria but doc couldn't explain it! Which hasn't helped! And no palps when I wore the monitor for 3 days! It used to happen every 3 days but since being on betablockers its every 2-3 weeks thanks goodness as it gives me anxiety when it happens.I'm 48 and have been having palps in menopause, so I'm hoping its just hormones causing mine...check with your doc if unsure tho as I know how it can play on your mind even though its likely to be benign x

• Posted

Thuds are usually a feature of ectopic beats.

Although I'm in permanent AF I had one isolated thunderous thud a few weeks ago just as I was going to bed.

• Posted

That's interesting Derek. I couple of months ago I was laying on the settee when I had a huge thud in my chest that made me literally leap up and wait to see if my heart was going to beat again! Awful! So what does it mean?

• Posted

No idea what it means. I had an EP appointment but did not think to mention it.

Have you had any AF attacks since then? In the last five weeks I seem to have been in my normal AF without any noticeable irreguular episodes. I have put that down to not having digestion problems that stimulate my vegas nerve in that time.  

• Posted

So I am 30 years old , fit, and used to be active. I am still a healthy weight, eat healthy and attempt to exercise but really cant. 

About three years ago after never having any heart issues all my life, these issues started. My cardiologist did diagnose me with PVCs and PACs. However, I have additional symptoms that my cardiologist either dismisses or chooses to ignore (not sure which yet). I get the similar irregular rhythm you are talking about when I workout and have a big PVC. However, this rhythm will last about 5-30 minutes, blurry vision, tingling hands and feet, feeling of doom (like i will die any second), shortness of breath, and sweaty and trembling hands. 

I have done several holter monitors, EKGs, stress test, ultrasound. The ER says they are anxiety attacks, but they typically only happen when i drink caffeine or have a PVC while working out. To me they are missing something. When the big PVC happens in the gym, and it causes the attack, it sends me into tachycardia (160-180 bpm resting), and this last time sent my heart into a weird and quick beat-beat..pause......beat-beat..pause....beat-beat..pause...

Told my cardiologist and all he said was he was going to implant a loop recorder under my skin in a couple weeks....WEEKS.... the agony...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.