PVCs are really bugging me right now. Feel like going mad. Anger. Rage. Annoyed.

Posted , 16 users are following.

I'm seriously fed up of these stupid eptopic beats. I'm 32 and had these for many years (as far back as 17). Over the years they are getting harder to deal with.

They happen randomly and are usually started by positional changes. If I lie on my left side they start and they won't stop for a good hour. If I drink diet cola, or eat spicy food, that's a trigger. If I'm stressed ... another trigger.

I recently quit smoking and alcohol. For a good week I had hardly any. Today at about 7pm I had many. All started when I lay on my left side and then instantly sat upright after the first PVC.

These are definitely PVC's. They feel like this:

Early beat ... pause ... harder beat

My hear then beats all strange really quickly for a second before returning to normal. Then I have to sit and wait for next one not knowing when it's going to come or how it's going to feel.

They always feel uncomfortable. I have no idea how some people can have them yet not be aware.

When my heartrate is around 64bpm they seem more significant. Probably because of the slower heart rate and the longer pause. They are much quicker and less noticeable when my heart rate is faster.

I'm just getting fed up of them now because they control my life. They feel awful. They make me feel like I am going to die. If they happen outside the house I have sever panic attacks. This is resulted in not wanting to leave the house in fear of having an attack of the ectopics.

I'm feeling irritable, agitated and annoyed. Makes me not want to bother looking after my health and might aswell go back to drinking and smoking as not doing those things doesn't change anything for me. Beer just meant I could ignore them easier.

I won't go back to doing those. I'm still withdrawing from cigarettes so it's possibly having something to do with the increase in ectopics. I've been exercising regular too. I jump rope 2000 times every other day and done a 6 mile walk today without any problems. The ectopics came long after the walk.

They have ruined my life. I am disability benefits because I can't work due to anxiety which is related to these stupid ectopics. Why me? Why did the man in the sky bless me with this crap. Over 12 years I've dealt with this and I just want a break from it all now.

Depression set in. Death feels like a viable option. I can't be dealing with this crap all my life anymore. I'd rather have no life.

Could really do with some words of wisdom here.

2 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is this place hardly used anymore or am I alone here? Makes me think my skips are different and probably more serious because nobody every replies to me when I discuss this on forums. Feeling suicidal. Feeling crapy. Wish I had people to talk to.

Sorry to be a bother to everyone. I just feel unwelcomed and not worthy of any help at the moment.

Bye sad

• Posted

Hi james63103

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

I was feeling very depressed and alone last night and got a bit upset. My emotions are all over the place since I quick alcohol and cigarettes. Thankfully I got some much needed sleep and woke up feeling better.

I apologise, I should reserve such comments as they're not helpful to the community.

• Posted

James I know exactly how you are feeling I suffer from this and it has also ruined my life but trying all options had 2 ablations this year but not a success although I can now walk upstairs! I am trying supplements and also accupuncture I have thousands of these a day am still here took them at 19 now 55! I have cut out all sugar and processed foods I have good days but mainly bad days! One thread that always seems to be present is stomach problems I have gastritis and a hiatus heirnia so I feel this is a major factor look up vagus nerve if its agitated it can cause ectopics! Try all avenues and let me know if any thing works, I have been up since 3 am with the darn heartbeats no respite tonight!

Regards Ingrid

• Posted

Hey Ingrid,

Thank you for the response. I was in a bad place last night but thankfully I woke up this morning in a better mood and so far I'm free of ectopics. I managed to get some sleep last night.

I wish there were more studies on the relation to the stomach. I too have noticed a relation between the two. Hydration is another problem. I'm not actually sure if I was hydrated yesterday because I realise today that during the 6 mile walk I didn't any fluids and I didn't drink much fluids when I got back home either aside from the half litre of diet coke (stupid idea I know!).

I did bring up ablation in the past and was told I'm not a candidate. He said if I'm not able to have ectopics on the operating table they will not be able to locate the area that needs ablating. I've tried my hardest to avoid meds too because I don't want any side effects.

It's both good, and bad, to know that you've had these so long. On the plus side they're harmless, on the bad side they're damn annoying ha ha! 

Many thanks. I wish you better health smile

• Posted

Hi Ingrid - Are you saying you have pvc's too. I've been having them for about a month and a half everyday. Skips every 3 or 4th beat. Been to see my cardiologist, EKG, 48 hour holter and echo all were normal. It's absolutely awful. Anxiety goes through the roof even though I'm told I'm OK and have no heart disease. I feel better when I can talk to someone who experiences the same thing.

• Posted

I have had them from age 28 I,m now 70,  I had to learn to live with them because I had 3 children, sometimes it was very hard because I worked.  In the earlier days they affected me badly, they are still there with svt which gradually developed over the years.  I,m on a beta blocker, bisoprolol which helps.  My son inherited the condition, he is 48, he takes propranolol when needed.   Do not get despondent there are many of us with this condition, it is very hard at times but don,t let it beat you.
    • Posted

Wow that's a long time! In all that time you've had to deal with these pesky ectopics?

I have a child too. He helps me to ignore them at times because my mind is focused on looking after, or playing, with him. But, now that he's 10 he's going through early hormonal changes and as a parent right now things can get stressful lmao. Double edged sword I guess.

My fear is these will develop into SVT or even afib. Years ago they started off as the odd strange beat here and there. I remember I used to train for marathons and I'd get them all the time while running. I used to be able to ignore them and carry on.

I don't think I can take a beta blocker. My resting heartrate is already around 64 and I fear the beta blocked will slow it down too much. If I can do without them I try my hardest too.

In my case, the same as your son's, they are inherited. My mother has had them but hers stopped in her late 30's. My 2 brothers have had them, 1 had a serious bout of them where the doctor thought his heart was beating dangerously and sent him to hospital (it was just ectopics). His are now gone too. Mine are still stuck.

I'm sorry that you've had to deal with them for so long but it's good to know that I'm not alone and it is possible to live to old age with them smile

I wish you good health.

• Posted

For many years I did not take them seriously, the doctors never seemed concerned, I had taken a drug Verapamil but it did not seem to help so I stopped them. I developed svt about 11 years ago but still it wasn't,t taken seriously by the medical profession, so it was either give in or survive.  The big attack I had in Feb this year where my heartbeat was 197 and could only be reverted back with adenisone was the start of taking beta blockers, I,m on a low dose of 1.25 but sometimes when I get a breakthrough I take another, I had the side effects when I went on them but they have subsided, I,m not so active now I,m older so I don,t know if they would affect me, for the last month I have been wheelchair bound with a broken ankle.   My blood pressure is 116 over 66 and heart 62' I will take my drug at lunchtime.   Before this drug I was 135 over 68, heart rate 68, it does go lower after the drug.     Both my son and myself have been hyperactive all our lives and anxious, my 2 daughters are ok.  I don,t know if this hyperactivity is relevant to this condition.   Take care Ann.

• Edited

Hi James: I am 78 and have suffered with these si ce I was seventeen. They wax and wane. lately in the past two weeks they have been a real impediment to my relaxing and especially sleep. Can't hardly sleep at night. Just finished a week's worth of Irhythm monitor. I am waiting results. Will post when I hear. Hang tough I know how you feel

• Posted

I too struggle with these ectopics and even though I have had them for a number of years now, they still fill me with panic and on bad days I just feel like I can't cope. I have definitely found that they are linked to my stomach and possibly the vagus nerve that has been mentioned here. It might be an idea to look at your diet perhaps and I have found that fizzy drinks are a definite no no as is caffeine, big meals and eating late. I have bad reflux as well though and now this feels like ectopics but not sure if from my heart or tummy argggg! I wish the doctors could help more. I am on a small dose of bisoprolol and I'm scared to stop it now as does take the edge off x

• Posted

Same here, I cannot drink alcohol,caffeine,big meals, having my stomach too full causes them big time.   I had a bad marriage, now alone, upset caused them to rage away all day only giving me respite when I slept which didn't,t come easy.  Bisoprolol does take the edge off them like yourself

• Posted

Hi I was taking Verapamil 240 but unfortunately stopped working I have now been given Nebivolol 5mg but scared to take them my EP said he hoped they would work but on the side effects it says u must be monitered for 2 hours in case of side effects which could be serious! he never mentioned that! has anyone on here any experience of this drug having bad ectopics with a lot of pain today!

Regards Ingrid

• Posted

James

I too suffer from pvcs but thsy havent been that bad over the last month. Ive heard taking magnesium can help with them. Maybe taking an anti anxiety medication might work as well. Im on klonopin which helps some.

• Posted

Hi James, I am so so sorry I did not see your original post. I too suffer since 've my teens, I am sixty five, I do have a pacemaker , as of December this year, and now they say I have afib( oh joy) . Now, I have to take A beta blocker and blood thinner. Not liking the blood thinner, bad gas and stomach pain, and the beta causes weight gain. ( dieting, still gaining) snot happy about that. But have to say my skips are less on the beta blocker. I don't get as many as you. But mine can be painful, and scare the dickens out of me. My heart is normal they say. I do exercise quite a lot, but not walking, bad back and knee, biking, and some swimming. I still have a tiny drink at night but no caffeine and no smoking . I also feel GERD and anxiety contributes to my Skippy heart. I can almost predict when I will have them. I am sorry you are plagued by so many.I really believe you need to get an ablation. I would do it if I was you. It is ruining your quality of life. Find a great doctor. If you lived in Florida, I would say go to mine. He is ranked no 3 in Florida and is the kindest, most caring man. He cares deeply for his patients!! Here, we are dealing with a monster hurricane coming. I have to go back to getting stuff ready, we may half to leave. My Skippy heart will not like that😱 God bless and keep in touch. Oh, I forgot, please , get some magnesium oil or spray and use it. I get mine from Amazon. It rely helps the nerves and skips. I also use a combination vitamin from Amazon called Heart Calm. Showed it to my Cardio Dr. And he said it is good. Been taking it about a week. Can feel the difference. It has Magnesium, Taurine, low dose Potassium in it!! Read the reviews!! Hundreds of people swear by it!! Hugs hugs, let us hear from you!!Mabel!!!!

• Posted

Hey Mabel,

Since my original post I've been doing much better. I believe the flair up could have been a result of quitting smoking and quitting alcohol. A chemical imbalance of some sort causing my heart to do its crazy dance.

I've had hardly any recently. I had a couple today when exercising but nothing major. Nothing that I'm not used to anyway.

They would never agree to ablation. I already asked and was told I don't have enough to qualify. I rarely get bad days. In comparison the past couple of days I've had maybe 10 in the whole day. Probably less than that.

I'm feeling much better and thank you for your reply smile

• Posted

So glad you are feeling better~ yes our bodies do react to any change in diet, etc. I think my heart would be worse if I did not have my coctail at night.! hahaha!I have not drank for a few weeks at a time before, but had them just as bad! So for me doesn't seem to help! And being relaxed helps. I really do recommend this Heart Calm stuff from Amazon. I showed it to my heart Dr and he said take it! ( he is an EP) Has Magnesium, Taurine, and a small amount of Potassium! I have hardly had any for 2 weeks, and the ones I had were small. So, it is working. Go look at all the good reviews. Good to hear from you. We are sitting here in Florida after the storm being hot, as our power is out. Have a small generator that runs the comp an the fridge and a couple of lights. And my cpap machine!! But, not the air! Hot here!!

Take care! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.