PVCs for several days

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have mitral valve prolapse and have dealt with the fast heart rate and PVCs off and on for years.  Most of the time the PVCs are a few times and then go away.  I went on a beta blocker in November and right after Christmas I had a two day episode with significant PVCs.  Today I am on my 6th days with PVCs  sometimes as many as 8-10 a minute.  I did go to the ER but they weren't too concerned about them and told me to consult with my regular Dr. if they persist.  I did get a cardiologist appointment but it is 6 weeks out.  I have never had them last this long.  The Dr. did double the does of my beta blocker and I think that has lessened the intensity of them but not the frequency.  I just want them to stop.  I have one cup of coffee in the morning otherwise no caffeine,  I do enjoy a glass of wine or a 1 beer in the evening a couple of times a week but I have given that up too.  Yes, like most of the other discussions I have read I do tend to be a worrier.  I did have some stress a week or so before this current round of PVCs but when they started I wasn't under any stress.  The PVCs give me stress.  How can you not stress out when your heart is pumping right.  How long can this go on before it is a problem?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alisa, I'm with you, when the PVCs are frequent it feels like real trouble ... although I guess it isn't.  But then I'm a worrier, too, lol.  I've been really peeved at the doctors who barely even shrug at them.

?Beta blockers seem to help some, also keeping your BP down, how's your BP?

• Posted

My BP is good.  Usually on the lower side.  When I was in the ER it was only 124 over 50
  • Posted

Hi there. I am sorry you are having the awful PVCs! You are braver than me..I would be banging on the odds door everyday. I don't think there is a time limit on how long they can go on. I would not let them send you away of you have, passing out or chest pains too, etc. I can't believe you have to wait 6 weeks for a cardio Dr. That does not seem right. I would try hard to get checked sooner. Not that you are in danger, but dang, you must be miserable. I would suggest getting some magnesium to take. I take Heart Calm . It has potassium, magnesium, taurine, Coq10. My Dr says it's good to take for PVCs. It seems to help mine a lot. I get it on Amazon. You could also try coconut water, bananas or potatoes. But would have to eat a lot to make a difference. Also V8 juice. Your electrolytes may be off. I hope this helps. Let us know how you are doing! Take care, Ileen. I agree about the beta blockers. But you need to get them from your cardio Dr.

• Posted

I got notification this morning that the have moved my appointment up to January 24 (It was Feb 28th)  I did order some Heart Calm this morning but I will also check with the cardiologist before I start taking it.  I don't pass out but as for chest pain....well it is hard to describe.  I don't really have pain but more of an anxiety feeling.  Sometimes I can't feel the PVCs as much but I know I'm still having them because I have that anxiety feeling in my chest so I check my pulse and sure enough I'm having them.  Other times they are so bad they take my breath away.  Then I will have an episode where the PVCs all the sudden stop and it is like a brick has been lifted off my chest.  Thank you everyone for your help!! 

• Posted

Yes Alisa, how can you NOT be stressed when you are having  VEs so frequently. I have gone with NO ectopics since end of last May...7 months and now they have suddenly started up .All that bosh about alcahol /coffee etc etc really doesnt apply. I am an anxious person and  have taken Prothiaden for 30 years for same. I think the ectopics  are to do with too much adrenaline etc in the bloodstream.I know now its no good seeing the Dr any more as I went through all the tests etc  2 yrs ago .Any sympathy there.......forget it.

Have you had surgery on yr heart valve?

• Posted

No I have not had surgery.  I was told mine is not the degenerative kind so should not require surgery but I guess time will tell. I find with aging (I’m 46) my symptoms are getting worse. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.