PWB after surgery gone wrong?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello! Maybe someone of you can help, im getting scared. I broke my tibia/fibula and syndesmosis three weeks ago, and had surgery with 11 screws and a plate two weeks ago. My doctor and physio said I should start partial weight bearing right away even with pain, 15-20 kg tops. Physio showed me how to walk correctly, basicly forced me the first day. This, plus exercises, helped, I felt better everyday, to the point where I did not need pain killers and could stretch my foot as far as the healthy one goes. However two days back, I walked maybe an hour in total, and I am afraid I overdid it or maybe put too much weight on the foot. Because now there is a stabbing pain if I turn my foot a spesific way, and there is also a painful hard bump on the inside of the ankle. Also the leg is stiff and sore in general, and im on painkillers again. I called the doctor, but he has not answered, and they told me I should go to the emergency room if it gets worse/I dont feel my toes. Has anyone stepped too much on the foot while partial weight bearing? Did you have pain that went away, or did you need a second surgery? Thank you 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had surgery ORIF (fix broken fibula and displaced tibia/fibula) surgery five weeks ago. I was told to do zero weight bearing for six weeks, but I had read and done a lot research on weight bearing after surgery, so I started an independent rehab program (ask your ortho before taking this risk) and I'm now walking 90% limp free (no walking boot) and my gait improves daily. My biggest judge of whether things were progressing well was pain (other than some soreness and stiffness there was minimal pain). I wouldn't worry, take a few days off of the weight bearing and RICE as much as possible. Maybe wear a walking boot if you have (with no weight bearing), but number one, ask your ortho or your physical therapist for their opinion.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thank you! Yes hopefully the pain will go away otherwise ill head back there. Happy to hear about your recovery! 
  • Posted

What the heck? It seems like I’m reading more and more on this forum of people WB just a couple of weeks after surgery!  I’ve been advised and read that it takes 6 weeks for the bones to heal....why is this? I’m in the U.S. and realize some folks are in the U.K., perhaps that’s the difference? 
    • Posted

Yea I don't know what is best. I'm in Norway, here apparently you don't need a cast if you have surgery, physio said that since they are "fused together" one can turn and put some weight on it immediately. However now I wish I didn't get that advice :D He said before they adviced 3 months of crutches, now they say recovery usually is as short as 6 weeks (well before whatever I am experiencing now happened) 

• Posted

I’m in the U.S as well. It really just depends on your ortho’s school of thought. A lot of orthos want to protect their patients, which obviously is a good thing—and it’s not to say that those that prescribe weight bearing immediately surgery after are putting their patients at risk. Either way, both roads lead to recovery—routes are just different.
  • Posted

Trust me when I say I am envious,  as I’m 5 weeks post op had ORIF surgery w/two plates, screws, a tightrope fixation with no cast and I can WB a little bit and flex my foot but am afraid to push it any further than I have but when I leave my house (I can drive cause it’s my left foot that’s injured) I wear my cam boot but I notice I swell within a couple of hours depending on how much time I spend upright. I won’t see the orthopedic doc until May 29th which will be 3 days shy of 8 weeks post-op, hence my frustration, as I’d like to start therapy sooner than later too!! 
  • Posted

Hai nat..i just got high ankle injury (grade 3 since i need to go to operation and got syndemosis screw) and broke my fibula, now im at 3 weeks post operation (same with you) still at cast and not wb at all..my doc said that at week 8 need to get 1 operation to remove my syndemosis screw before i start to wb.

I read lots that every doctor have different kind of method in how to treat patient with syndemosis screw, some said it can start partial wb at 4 weeks. My advice.. if its really swollen and pain..better rest it, the bone during 3 weeks po is not healed yet, better rest it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.