Pyloric Stenosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

[b:451b9ccc6a] My son was two months old when it was discovered he had PS,

after many visits to the gp & local hospital he was finally diagnosed, he is now eleven his scar is very bumpy.

He is always hungry and can eat lage portions and not be full !

can some one tell me if this a further condition of PS ?

many thanks x[/b:451b9ccc6a]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes it could be, if you think this could be affecting his nutrition (or anything else) by all means please contact your GP, get this worry looked into smile
  • Posted

Short of plastic surgery (pretty drastic) it's hard to do much about a lumpy scar. Closing a deep wound involves bringing together several layers of tissue, and only the best pro's can do that really well. Only some scars end up looking straight and smooth!

Do what you can to help your child to understand, appreciate and \"own\" the miracle of lifesaving surgery, and to be able to talk about his \"badge\".

Re the hunger, as I wrote in another post on this subject, I haven't had this problem, though my tall and lanky build and fast meatbolism certainly keep me hungry. See a doctor if there's no obvious answer.

• Posted

I am a paediatric surgeon and read your posting and i am sorry he has a bad scar . Pyloric stenosis can be treated by trained surgeons without leaving a unsightly scar like your son has had. This is achieved by doing the operation through the belly button ( umblical pyloromyotomy ) which just leaves a scar near the umblicus and with growth gets incorporated in the umblicus . The operation doesnt have increased complications and in trained hands and actulally takes less time to perform but is technically more difficult and in uk we would be expected to do about 40 of these procedure before being signed off as competent .

The same good aesthetic results can be achieved by putting a camera through the belly button and making 2 key hole cuts in the abdomen to do the procedure - but in this, in addition to the belly button scar, there are two very small additional key hole scars on each side of the abdomen.

I have met many parents who as childern had the opertaion through a cut in the abdomen which was tradional before a brilliant surgeon from manchester uk ( Mr Bianchi ) described and perfected the technique for this operation through the belly button, I have yet to have one who wanted their child to have the old operation or is satisfied with their procedure after being aware of the alternative.

scars can be improved and i hope you the best of luck

kind regards

• Posted

I had the same opperation at a few weeks old. As a child i found my scar very embaracing but is i grew older i have learnt to love it. It is now about 10cm long and the bumps in it have just about streached out. If i was given the oppertunity to remove it i wouldn't. It is part of me and without it i wouldn't be here. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.