Pyschiatrist/GP has suggested quetiapine

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi.

I'm currently on 150mg sertraline and 15mg mirtazapine.  As my depression hasn't lifted in a few years the GP has said to start 50mg of quetiapine.  I'm very nervous about starting another medication and don't want any nasty side effects like weight gain or feeling really tired or zombie like during the day.

I like to run and I'm pretty sure the mirtazapine affects my running - my legs get tired quicker.  I really don't want quetiapine to affect my running further still.

Any help gratefuly received.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi 

i have been on quetipine for 8 years now and can definatley say i put on weight and at the time i was on 150mg i did feel like zombie to start with then a little detached ,i take 25mg now and slowly trying to ween off it ,but definatley recommended for sleep as knocked me out to the state alarm clocks would wake me up

• Posted

I suffered from Clinical Depression for 8 months which was absolute hell, I suffered terribly.  I tried several antidepressants which did nothing for me.  

Untill, eventually, I was prescribed Quetiapine & Venlafaxine which blew my depression away.   

I think the Quetiapine was definitely the drug that cured me.  I highly reccomend it. 

50 mg  is ok, it won't knock you out.  No side effect's for me either. It may make a big difference to your mood.  If things in your life are making you depressed try and change them.  

• Posted

Thanks for reply. I'm worried that even 50mg will make me very sleepy and zombie like during the day. Also worried that I'll put on lots of weight. Can you remember if you did?
    • Posted

U will be okay. 50 mg is a small dose.

If your depression is bad, I would give quitiapine a go. It works quickly. After a week or two you will feel much better.

• Posted

Keep busy and meet up with people. Don't sit at home alone.
    • Posted

Hi orangedog.  I put on weight on Seroquel low dose.  My dose varied from 25-100mg at night.  I've been on this drug for around 2-3 years and am now weaning myself off because of the weight increase and because I just don't want to take meds all the time.  I take Sertraline 100mg daily for depression.  I am very stable mentally right now.  Ihad stopped smoking at the same time I started the Seroquel so that also would have contributed to my weight gain.  I'm now down to 12.5mg at night.  My sleep is being impacted.  I actually smoke marijuana to get me to sleep, it works really well, but I do wake up after about 4 hours and find it hard to get back to sleep.
  • Posted

I just started this drug 9 days ago.  For the first 7 days I only took a half a dose (25mg) recommended by my doc to get used to it.  Today is day two of full 50mg dose.  The sleep has been wonderful after having years of horrible insomnia mixed with horrible nightmares when I did sleep. I have felt tired more easily.  I feel constantly hungry, which worries me a bit, but I have been severely underweight so gaining a bit won't be too bad.  I don't feel any better mentally, yet.  I understand that it takes a little time so I am going to wait it out.  I have another Dr appointment in 3 weeks to assess how it's going and whats next.  I do not want to take meds, but since I have some sort of 'conversion disorder' caused by past traumas, I have to have Xanax to calm the anxiety and the severe pain and burning in my feet, and no doc but a Psych can prescribe that for the long term, at least that is what my doctor told me.  
  • Posted

hi i ve suffered from depression anxiety for years been on many antidepressants. seen my psyciatrist today n he s put me a quetiapine 25mg to begin with, i ve read that its used to treat bipolarand schzopherenia this doesnt men i have one of these mental health illiness do it . my depression anxiety has worsened i was on sertaline 50 mg which didnt help at all also duoluxotine highest dose . my moods are like a yoyo mostly low . really be gratful for some advice . thank u 
    • Posted

No Stacey, just because you are on quetiapine it does not mean you have bipolar/schisoprenia.  I was prescribed it as an off-label to help me sleep, I took between 25mg and 75mg at night.  I'm  longer taking the drug - have just had my first week without it.  I feel a little depressed so maybe it does help with mood as well. 
  • Posted

after being on 50 mg for about a month now I can say that it has definitely helped my depression and moods.  I feel so much better, it's like night and day!!  I sleep better most nights and do not have the awful nightmares that I used to have.  It does make me hungry, but being mindful of it helps.  Probably no different than anyone that has any addiction that they are trying to get over.  Mine was drama and anger and mind racing etc.. Once I calmed down, I can think more about things and yes food comes to mind.  For ME, I have had a serious problem with a colon blockage for over a year and a half and I could NOT eat so I am guessing this is my mind and body telling me its okay now.  I am telling you though, that I feel 10 times better mentally.  I was suicidal and homocidal alternately most days.  This stuff has turned me all the way around. 
  • Posted

Im 23 next week, Ive been taking quetiapine for nearly a year. I got put on the tablets whilst serving time in custody. I now realise im not a bad person, All my crimes have been psychotic behaviour related yet i was judged on being a criminal not a poorly person. Now since taking quetiapine 150mg daily, My lifes isnt nothing like how it was. Finally found a cure, I do suffer from restless legs whilst taking the tablets but im convinced thats worth it. Im now the person everyone lost a few years ago due to psycotic behaviour. If your doctor reccomends to take quetiapine then i would. All as i have is an opinion but my opinion works for me. Good luck and everyone on this group i wish you all the best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.