Quad sparing knee replacement with attune knee. Comments?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Scheduled surgery for December 6 2016. Now reading about recalls and lawsuits! Any successful stories? 55 y.o. male. Thank you in advance. Doug.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi why are you worrying about law suits etc most people have this done make a good recovery as with all things in life somethings  are not as good as we hope but if you stick with the recovery program things can turn out good but it can be a very challenging op to recover from if your not sure dont go for it and stick with the existing pain i have had both done one is better than the other (same surgeon )

just how things go best of luck  whatever you do

• Posted

These products are so well tested there is little to no chance of failure. Even hips which are a little more suspect because of the type metal, are covered in the waiver its hard to even consider legal action. Review all the original docs you signed and you'll find they have done a CYA clause somewhere. Even surgical malpractice and incompetence are hard to get legal representation to file charges.

• Posted

I am 10 weeks post TKR. I have recovered well. I drove at five weeks, went back to work at six weeks. I was like you prior to my op and as my daughter said you won't read good comments as those people have recovered and don't have time to write about their surgery they are out enjoying their lives on the golf course.

Do your exercises before and after your op and you will be fine. You only get back what you put in.

I would do it again in a heart beat.

Jackie

• Posted

Thank you all for comments , I've been needing replacement for over 15 years! Finally scheduled it and am now a nervous wreck.. I've sought out the 'quad sparring' technique in hopes of quicker recovery.. after googling 'attune' knees while at dr office I seen class action suits and FDA recalls.. whew!! Questioned well experienced dr. Doing surgery and his response was.. I've been using for two years with good results and don't know of any recalls of this knee " personally"!?!! maybe I'm just a nervous Nellie! Thx again..

• Posted

Hi if you have been putting up with pain for that long maybe its time to do it. dont rearly know what is the best method the docs use but my  last tkr and the best result was done useing a custom cutting jig with a standard knee implant ps i was almost crxxing myself for the first knee HA HA you will be fine just take all the meds and dont try to tough out the pain
    • Posted

Researching brands of prosthesis is like looking at The ads for pharmaceuticals....whose spending the most money trying to sway Dr's a opinions by the pull through method.

I had a Stryker for my 1st prosthesis and DuPuy for the last 2. The companies have a different approach as to the curvature of the device. One is a ball and one is more like the original knee, a little more elongated. I think most of this look at several things...age, activity level, weight and make true decision in the most professional manner......which companies sales rep is taking them to lunch and golf next week. There is the relatively new custom knee that has the computer doing all the measuring and ordering a special made device designed for that particular joint. I've talked to several surgeons about it and collectively yet independently the answer has been an eye roll type response. I've had 11 surgeries on my knee/leg plus 30 rounds of radiation and it's all due to a rare tumor that blew up 14 years ago. The prosthesis nor the surgical skills had much to do with recovery. Unfortunately, ill be a guy that will be in pain and walk with a limp the rest of my life all due to the tumor.......the good news.........at my stage in life I won't have all that many years of pain and limping ahead of me.

Frankly.....fear of The future can be a whole lot more destructive than reality itself.

As I've mentioned all too many times on this site....my wife of nearly 59 years suffers from advanced Parkinson's disease and her quality of life if worsening right before our eyes. She is supposed to hang on to her walker for dear life. 6 weeks ago she decided to just go out on the patio and get a littlecfresh air before the day heated up.....down she went and fractured her hip. The next day, a completely unexpected partial hip replacement. All for a little frshvair.....3weeks in a rehab facility and struggling to get by at home with nothing but futhur deterioration ahead of her. Now that's what fear is all about.

You'll be fine. Just take your time in recovery. You are going into a complete new phase.....just don't rush or hurry or let the medical people give you a bunch of timetables that are unattainable. Stay with this forum. Thevpeoplevon here have been through it.....the docs haven't. You'll get help, advice, sympathy, empathy Nd one in a while a much needed kick in the butt.

• Posted

RTHR 9 weeks ago / both knees about 2 years / lived with progressively worse knees for 10 years FINALLY got surgeries, 3 months apart. The hip went from fine to couldn't walk in a matter of months, did not hesitate to go for replacement after doctor decided it was not getting any better. I'm 64 years old as and back to walking the dog every day, he's happy. Just wanted to comment on researching the different prosthetics. I don't know the brand names of any of mine, that is the surgeon's territory and we trust them to do their best. How could I possibly contribute any relevant information to my surgeon about the technical aspects of different knee implants. Good luck Digdug I understand, of course you're nervous, you'll do fine. I didn't really want to know the bloody details of my surgeries, instead focus on getting the knees or hip back to feeling as normal and strong as possible, not the mechanical design of the metal device now hopefully a permanent fixture in your body. To everyone here work hard at your recovery. Thanks OFG for all of your contributions to this forum.

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife, life just isn't fair at times. I hope that she isn't in too much pain and recovers from her surgery soon. Deb

• Posted

Thanks so much. Pain has never been an issue as she has a very high pain threshold and hates pain meds. She went through the phr with only 4 small doses of hydrocodone. Unfortunately when she fell she hit he head on the cement and I feel its worsened her Parkinson's and created some more severe memory issues plus has caused some additional concerns in regards to controlling her emotions. Depression has increased as has the frequency of outbursts of crying, etc. As I've said several times.........this will improve but it just isn't going to be pretty.

• Posted

You both sound incredibly resilient and mentally strong. I hope that Mrs ofg gets over this setback and you can both get back to being mutually supportive of each other. I think with the health issues you've both had for many years you deserve to be comfortable now. Unfortunately the wicked people out there never seem to get their just deserts.

• Posted

For me there has never been an alternative...I found one that would put up with my crap and know I would never be able to find another . I've always said she raised 5 kids......the 4 she gave birth to and the one she married. I did make things easier for her.....I traveled over 1/2 the time for over 40 years so she didn't have me contaminating them over extended periods. Outside of these late life issues, most of the problems I've had were self generated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.