Quark

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've just discovered quark.

For any one as ignorant as I was it is a soft cheese, similar to cream cheese. It tastes like plain Greek yoghurt (which I love) but here is the good news, 100g is 73 calories and 0.2g fat.

0.2! how fabulous is that? :lol:

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That sounds great...I'd heard of it but as I don't like anything 'strange' LOL I haven't had any...will certainly look tomorrow when shopping...do you take it in salads or spread it on say ryvita?
  • Posted

i've used it to make the sauce for mousaka and eaten it as i would youghurt. It would spread well and i suppose it would go in salad but has th consistancy of youghurt.
  • Posted

I just bought some this morning....when I saw that it was a spread I thought it would be good on ryvita so did buy it but haven't tasted it yet...but thanks for the suggestion....I also bought WW cheese slices for a sandwich...I know they are highish fat content but a change...gosh I haven't had anything except a little cottage cheese since April.
  • Posted

Try laughing cow extra light cheese triangles. I use instead of marg, and they are nice toasted.
  • Posted

Jondave....no laughing cow brands over here that I've seen....and the WW cheese? Rubbish....I'd rather have 10gramms of ordinary cheese than any of that stuff.or do without..it's like rubber so that's off the list. Did buy a Bird's Eye ready meal for some day I'm stuck for ideas or can't be bothered...can't believe I bought a ready meal...a first for me. Calorie wise they are low.
  • Posted

I'm not generally a ready meal person but have found them this year to be the answer to the problems of

•enforcing portion control for me

•not having to cook separately from scratch for both me and the family members who aren't on a diet.

The main downside for me isn't their lack of tastiness, but the amount of salt in them. I just don't use salt at all in my cooking and haven't for many years. The ready meals taste so salty and seem to have huge amounts in them.

• Posted

Thanks RR - have bought two but seriously they are only when I am really stuck....I am extra light with salt (definitely on an egg) given that I once had high BP... stress and overweight (what else) related. I'm not even keen on the look of the meal on the package!! They were reduced to (I think) two for £3.00 and I jumped.

Hope all things are going well for you...I just wonder will I ever reach that goal of 11 st on 8/9 - really seem to be stuck big time..got hubby to take me farther away from home on his way to a meeting and had a long, long walk last night, came home steaming...so hope that helps the situation...today is raining and rain is forecast tomorrow whilst you folks in the South of England are going to be basking in the sun.

Best regards to you and all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.