Quark

Posted , 4 users are following.

Opened my package of quark just now....and spread fairly thickly on ryvita with halved grapes on top makes a lovely snack. Try it!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm trying to work out how to make it into a cheesecake - just need to sort out a low fat base. Any suggestions?
  • Posted

Hi Quill drill,

How are you?

Totally showing my ignorance here, but what is quark?

Sasx

• Posted

Sassx....doing ok....very slow weight loss...walking a lot....have dropped a lb only in two weeks...that's how slow.

Quark...never had it before myself...it was mentioned on some other thread here.

If you like natural yoghurt you will like this although it is more sour than some yoghurts I've tasted....but it is spreadable....I don't think I'd take it on ryvita (or any biccy-type thing) without fruit on it...kinda too sour on it's own....you see I loved (past tense please note) Philly cream cheese with grapes sandwiches...but of course can't have that and this is the next best thing.

My stuff was bought in Asda - just says Quark...99% fat free. 63 cal per 100 gr and 0.2g of fat. Wish they'd give you a clear lid to put on it between usage...cling it.

Guest.....my container has a recipe on the side...here goes a shortened version:- Base: 150g of reduced fat digestives + 60g low fat spread - make in usual way. 8\" tin.

Beat tog. 250g quark + 200g low fat yoghurt+50g light soft brown sugar (!! I'd probably do less maybe)+3 tbsp. plain flour_ 1 med egg, beaten+1 teasp. vanilla essence and pour over base. Then dollop 4 tbsp. low sugar fruit spread on top of mixture and swirl into it. Bake at 180 degrees for 3-35 mins or until slightly risen and firm to the touch. Cool and chill before eating.

What the low sugar fruit spread would be I don't know at this stage....any ideas. Anyhow Guest...there's a base for you...probably will be short and crumbly when cut but what odds...it's all going the same way....says that it serves 4 -6 people...maybe 10 if they're on Blueys!!!! No mention of calories or fat per portion but you could work it all out.

• Posted

Try splenda brown sugar only half the calories as ordinary. Remember to use half the quanity of sugar or it will be too sweet. The low sugar fruit spread I guess would be sugar free jam for diabetics. You can buy it in most supermarkets in the jam section.

Mandy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.