quarter doses of remeron

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, i am currently taking remeron as a sleep aid. The dose that was prescribed to me was 7.5 but i never take that much. I normally take a quarter of that and some times a half dose. I only take it as needed. My question is do you guys think that such a low dose (quarter 1.87) really does anything? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It doesn't seem likely. Well try it without.
    • Posted

I think its all in my head lol. The main reason i use the remeron is because i was finally able to wean myself off using sleep medication like ambien and lunesta. But after taking them for so long sometimes i feel like if i don't take something i wont be able to fall asleep. That low dose of remeron probably doesn't do much but i think it just helps me calm some of the anxiety down.
  • Posted

Do I understand you right that u use it just as an alternative to sleeping pills? So you don't use it every night?

I don't know if mirtazapine is intented to be used like that, however now and then I use it that way too because I don't want to take benzos every night. I think only a pdoc can answer this question.

• Posted

I asked my pharmacist and doctor that question and they both said yes. My sleep issues are mainly due to anxiety issues. Issues that i started having after i stopped taking the sleep medication.
  • Posted

Hi . I was prescribed that for sleeping after my Zopiclone was withdrawn. At first it was 15mg, then 30mg.  Neither of which sent me to sleep. But i am a chronic insomniac. I think you should up your dose and see what happens.
    • Posted

I just don't want to be stuck on taking a new medication every night for sleep. I take them because i got hooked on lunesta and ambien. But after taking them for so long sometimes i feel like i wont get to sleep unless i take something.
  • Posted

I was on Zopiclone for around 15 years and have taken sleeping tablets of one sort of another for many years.  I only take one Zopiclone a night which is all i need but i fear gp`s are becoming reluctant to prescribe them since they became a class c drug. Which is a shame because i have never abused them.   I personally did not like Mirtazapine, 
    • Posted

Are you worried about some of the long term effects that they say sleeping pills cause? I have read a few articles were they say that sleeping pills users mortality rates are 5 times higher then non users. Also that the use of these pills causes cancer.
    • Posted

No i am not worried about the long term effects, i am nearly seventy, so the importance of getting a few hours sleep is worth it to me.  Also, at the moment, i am reasonably fit and healthy, Most drugs have side effects and are a risk,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.