Queery???....is it a lie?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Some people i have spoke to on here have been saying about Head aches, and it didnt really effect me until last week and my head is just banging.

You say to drink lots of water which is great because i try and drink atleast a pint of water before a meal because i heard it makes you feel fuller. And also i watched a tv show once which said sometimes when you think you are hungry you are infact thirsty and need a drink...

So i was fabulously happy...UNTILL.

I was reading the Sun newspaper today :shock: (i know i know the sun!)

And this may just be me being one of the worst for being gulable..BUT..Here are some what they call FACTS :shock:

WATCH out for that \"low in fat\" label which appears on many snack foods such as cereal bars.

Researchers at Cornell University in the US found that people consume up to 50 per cent more calories when they eat low-fat versions of snack foods compared with the standard versions. :shock: :shock: :?

SAINSBURY'S Be Good To Yourself Chicken Tikka Masala and Pilau Rice says it contains 4.8g of fat - but experts working for Channel 4's Dispatches found one sample contained a third more fat and another nearly twice as much.

They also found that Waitrose Chicken and Mushroom Parcels contain more fat per 100g than the 18.8g in fish and chips, the 16.2g in a kebab and the 13g in a McDonald's double cheeseburger. :shock:

Now not meaning to alarm anyone..But do you think this is true? Im worrying my socks off now.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

HI LEC

I think it's true for the cereal bar - I posted on here earlier that the low fat versions of cakes like WW are low in fat but high in sugars and also the cereal bars :!:

I think as we are all trying to loose weight heathily we should not just look at the fat content but also make sure we read the labels fully and look at all the other dangers like salt & sugars (sugars are empty calories and will only fill you up in the short term - a quick sugar fix and then 1/2 hour later you're back to being hungry) :cry: :twisted: .

We need to look for foods that are satifying and filling without being too tasteless :lol:

When I find anything I'll post it here but in the meantime it's got to be an extra hour for shopping as we need to look carefully at the labels - good job they can't do you for loitering in the aisles at Tescos and the other shops :lol: :lol:

If anyone finds anything new give us a shout and I'll be down the shops quicker than a dog after a rabbit to give it a try :run:

Jane

• Posted

Hi All,

A friend of mine has suggested something to me which she says cures your need for a bit of sweet stuff and lasts for ages...now, don't laugh!

She has said if you freeze a few grapes the go quite hard and you can suck them - a bit like a boiled sweet.

I've not tried it yet although I did pop a couple in the freezer this morning - I'm hoping they haven't exploded or anything...eek!

will keep you posted on how they are!!!

x

• Posted

The grapes is a great idea - tried it and it works - yipee :D
  • Posted

I tend to find alot of processed foods or ready made meals are high in allsorts. And not very tasty to be honest. Hence I always make from scratch. If Im roasting a chicken for dinner....I have it. Just a smaller portion and obviously no skin as its very fatty.

The water is a good thing chick...but be careful. The acid in our tummy`s is required to break down the food. Apparently, ur not meant to drink at all whilst eating. Not something I follow personally as I like a drink with my meal (and I don`t mean an alcoholic drink.. :lol: )

• Posted

Hi Skye and all

I watched Trevor (Tonight) one evening (well okay, I always watch it lol) but a few months back they ran a programme about these so called ready made meals for people on diets and it turned out that they are not much different form other ready made meals. So ladies and gents, don't be fooled by the packaging. To be really sure about what you are putting into your stomachs you need to make it from scratch.

Melbi x

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

Yep all true am afraid, as Skye said if its processed then you have to think about what they have to stick in it to give it a shelf life. Pre packed veg is another one as it is older than the veg you help yourself too as it has probably be in and out the country a couple of times and treated with chemicals to ensure it looks good on the shelves!!!!!

Making things from scratch is the ticket and doesnt have to take ages but most things can be prepare in minutes. There are plenty of receipe books out there for low fat, speedy meals try WH smiths they have quite a few. Make your own granola bars and stuff at least then you know exactly what is in it and what you are eating.

Bigbird :D

• Posted

Apparently lots of things that claim to be low fat are in fact much higher in sugar. Low fat mayonnaise for example has more sugar than ordinary mayonnaise!
  • Posted

I think its very varied, I personaly never realised how much fat are in things. Me and my mum spent HOURS going round ASDA and its ridiculous that i've never looked before and quite depressing realising how much fat i consumed on a daily basis.

I thought the Weight Watchers meals were great espesh the Salmon and Broccoli cheese wedges! But im going to have to rethink again!!

Thanks for all comments :lol: xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.