query about cholecystectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

does anyone know if you have this procedure if the metal clips used to secure the connection between gallbladder and bile duct are left inside you? i have a mri coming up and need to know.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yep mine there still since 1992 I only knew had when had recent exray. You should fill in forms tell them.all your ops I don't see what a problem would be for a MRI but they should know all your operations and just ask be on.safe side
    • Posted

thank you i only knew about the metal clip by accident,but will know to tell them now when i go for the mri and x rays.
    • Posted

Yes but they should tell patients anyway exactly what they are Doing I have three and when.I kept getting pains my lower ribs wondered could they become detached. If they put mesh in you for a hetius hernier they tell you so why not this I think sometimes they treat us like children. When I said what clips on exray
  • Posted

Hi punkabilly

I have had a few MRI's after my cholecystectomy and there was no problems. I let them know as I was also worried because of the strong magnets used. I was informed that the clips are so small, it will not be affected. Also, the clips are titanium so have very weak magnetic properties. My clips couldn't actually even be seen on the X-ray, ultrasound and MRI I had!

Hope this helps smile Best of luck.

Hannah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.