Query fractured patella

Posted , 1 user is following.

On 16 January whilst on holiday in Lanzarote, I tripped and fell, putting out my right hand to save myself.  I hit a wall with my hand and chin, and my knee on either the wall or ground.  I knew immediately I had hurt my hand as 3 fingers went numb, and my neck and knee were sore but did not seem as bad.

Off to the hospital and 7 X-Rays.  I was told the hand was just bruised and swollen, but put in a cast to rest it, then taken off before I flew home.  The neck was undamaged, just muscular damage to the chest wall.  But I was told that there was some sign of a hairline fracture to the kneecap, plus a blood clot, bad bruising and swelling.  I was put in an ankle to thigh brace, put on heparin and a stomach protector for 2 weeks.  1 CT scan, 1 Ultrasound, 2 days in hospital, 2 days in a disabled room at the hotel, 1 day back at hospital and the last day in the hotel room.  Then I was repatriated and my GP sent me to the fracture clinic at my local Hospital.

So 2 weeks later on 28 January, the hospital were unable to read the Spanish discs's so repeated the X-Rays.  This time I was told the hand definitely did have fractures, but just needed soft splinting.  I was not surprised as the hand HURT!  However I was then told there was no sign of a knee fracture.  Again I was not surprised, as I did not have any pain, just tenderness to touch and bruising.  I could stand and bend the knee 45 degrees, as we discovered when I got onto the X-Ray machine. 

To my surprise though, the brace was replaced with an adjustable brace to increase flexion.  I was instructed to keep it at 30 degrees for 2 weeks, then 60 degrees for 2 weeks, then 90 degrees for 2 weeks.  Then another X-Ray, and a course of physiotherapy.  And NO DRIVING!

At home 3 weeks after the accident I find I can get in and out of the shower without the brace, there is no pain as I move from shower to bedroom to put the brace on, my flexion is already up to about 75 degrees - it had just been stiff after being immobile for 2 weeks.  But I am doing as I'm told - keeping it braced and the leg up most of the day.  I also make a point of going out each day for about 20 minutes to get some fresh air and exercise.

My question is, surely 8+ weeks in a brace is over the top where there is no evidence of a fracture or any ligament/tendon damage, and the swelling and bruising has subsided?  And surely I would be in pain if it was fractured - I have always had pain with other fractures?  When I broke my ankle I was in plaster only 4 weeks, and a friend who broke a leg only had a cast for 6 weeks.

Anyone had any similar experiences, or can tell me how long they were immobilised with a fractured knee?  Many thanks

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You know your body best.  Reach out to your doctor with this information and ask for an altered plan based on your excellent progress.  Good luck.  I hated not being able to drive.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I've got an appointment in a couple of weeks time and in the meantime I'm keeping the brace on during the day, taking it off at night, but wearing an elasticated support.  The walking stick goes everywhere with me, just in case!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.