Query on length of alcohol abstinence

Posted , 7 users are following.

My liver enzymes were a little high(45,going to 50 and then 65 over a few months).I had been drinking four pints most nights,not bottles of whisky or anything,and was only referred to the gastroenterologist as my serum ferritin was a bit high and my GP didn't know what to do about it.The gastro gave me the standard tariff of 3 months without alcohol.I think that my GP would have said 1-2 months.After 8 weeks my liver enzymes and iron have returned to normal.Is it okay to drink in moderation now,or could there still be an adverse effect?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm sure Paul can give the answer, but my question would be - are you able to drink in moderation, or will you soon be back where you started. Most of us find it too difficult (really, physiogically) to drink in moderation without medication to help. Oh, well done on the 8 weeks, BTW!
  • Posted

Yes, you should be fine. But your previous consumption was a little high. May be keep it to two pints a niight, with some breaks and only four on a Friday or Saturday. It is important to have days off, so that you do not become alcohol dependent and by that I mean, you physically struggle to get through a day without alcohol.

Ferritin (iron) is caused by a couple of things, one, too much drinking causing the liver to produce to much and haemochromatosis.

https://patient.info/health/haemochromatosis-leaflet

Make sure you have a blood test in 6/12 months to check that you have the all clear. Your GP doesn't even need to get involved, just ring up the GP surgery and make an appointment with the practice nurse for an LFT.

• Posted

I would also check how you feel about drinking again and whether you can control it. Tricky one and try to be honest with yourself. Certainly great that you managed 8 weeks without drinking. Regards Robin
  • Posted

Good counsel from Robin and the others, check out what's real for you, in my book you have the right to expect you could feel ok without any drink, or a bit now and then. Cut back to a couple per night and throw in some nights without. See if your head gives you a hard time about it and assess the situation from there. 
  • Posted

Thanks for all your replies.I haven't missed it that much,but I don't want to stop forever,so I'll take it easy.I'm due another blood test after 3 months,so I'm assuming that small amounts won't show up if I abstain for a week or two beforehand.
    • Posted

Doesn't work like that. Your liver won't just go, I'm okay, no alcohol in the last week.

GGT is what shows up the alcohol over a long term. Ask your GP, it should be <50.

ask them also to do cholesterol, hba1c (diabetes) and haemochromatosis at the same time. ask="" them="" also="" to="" do="" cholesterol,="" hba1c="" (diabetes)="" and="" haemochromatosis="" at="" the="" same="">

ask them also to do cholesterol, hba1c (diabetes) and haemochromatosis at the same time.>

• Posted

This is what I can't understand

I'm convinced by complexion has changed(I looked like I gave a slight tan)...... But my LFS is perfect apparently,even though I drink every day averaging 1.5 bottles of wine for over 10 years and drinking weekly since forever.

My doctors don't seem concerned by I know something isn't right

• Posted

Go have a blood test, ask/demand to be given a copy of the results and to have them explained to you. Ask them to check ferritin levels.

From the link above on haemochromatosis:

As haemochromatosis progresses, more specific symptoms develop but these are now much less common because of earlier diagnosis. There problems include diabetes, increase in the size of the liver, 'scarring' (cirrhosis) of the liver, bronzing of the skin (like a permanent tan), disease of the heart muscle (cardiomyopathy) and joint problems, especially the knuckle and the first joint of the first two fingers.

The link again to read through:

https://patient.info/health/haemochromatosis-leaflet

Don't think your GP will automatically pick it up or do anything about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.