Query with Fluoxetine

Posted , 8 users are following.

Due to start taking Fluoxetine tomorrow but am scared due to the side effects I've read about, Have had a look on the discussion forum here and everyone seems to have some degree of side effect and have come through it but I'm still nervous. Can anyone reassure me I wont go crazy or stop functioning completely. Am suffering from anxiety and depression and have been trying to cope without meds but now at the stage where I need them but am wary that people may think I'm weak for giving in. would really appreciate some feedback from fellow sufferers. Did take Steraline but didnt like the worse panic attacks and out of control feelings so Dr has changed me to these.

Here's hoping someone puts my mind at rest.

Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I can't relate to any strong pills but I'm on propranolol which helps calms me but not emotionally. I have no side effects and can take them whenever and stop whenever. It acts as a beta blocker. Do you know what has caused your anxiety?
  • Posted

Hi

i was on proponolol to n it slowed my heart so bad i nearly passed out and ended up in hospital. plus was disorintated awfull plus its immediate effect on u.I've been on herbal passiflora tincture complex drops for one month now and would def recommend it wit no side effect

defo worth a try

• Posted

Hi

Sounds like you had the same experience as me - took sertraline for 5 days and ended up in a and e! Then changed to fluoxetine - been taking them for 26 days now… def feel much better than I did but it is slow and you have good and bad days, you just have to ride the bad days out and enjoy the good ones.

I am also seeing a counsellor to look in to triggers and what situations make me anxious (mine is anxiety, not depression)

I also take beta blockers and diazepam to help when things get bad.

Please feel free to message me if I can help / advise anymore.

I would def say take the tablets - each day you don't is a day longer you have to put up with feeling like this. I left it for so long and wish I had just addressed it when it started rather than trying to fight it! Make weekly appointments with your gp to talk about any side effects/ how you're coping with them. x

• Posted

Hi

I've been on and off Fluoxatine for years and never had any side effects whatsoever. It can take up to 2 weeks to get any noticeable benefit as in my experience the effects are quite subtle, but it does help.

You probably will be on 20mg to start, which I think is the minimal dose.

If you read the patient leaflets that come with all meds you wouldn't take any of them!

I'd give it a whirl. Tea and coffee is worse for you.

• Posted

Hi again,

The fluoxetine is for depression. If you feel you need something for anxiety I seem to have become the forums advocate for Pregabalin. It helps me a lot. The only side effect I had was a mild headache for four or five days, but went thereafter. Neither drug should give you the spaced out feelings that others do.

Good luck, whatever you do.

• Posted

Hi

Where do I get the pregabalin?

• Posted

Hi pipps,

Ok, I've found Pregabalin helps stabalise my anxiety, which for me is great. It kicks in after about 2 hours. (dose is low to start with, then increased to suit your needs)

It's easy to google Pfizer Pregabalin, to get their patient information.

You would have to start with your GP. Not all GP's may be familiar with this drug. Some would defer you to a psychiatric professional for a prescription.

So there you go. It may not work for you, but if you go that rout let us know how you get on.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Pipps,

I had a brief spell on fluoxetine never touched me no side-effects but no help either.

I go along with Alex,pregabilin is very good I find it stems the anxiety and is quite a good pain reliever and I should know after having had two knee replacements in two years. It is non-addictive and the only thing to watch for is,depending on the dosage,the first tablet may make you feel a bit dizzy but it passes and believe me without it over the last three years I would have been in a mess.

So go on,get to the Doc and ask him for Pregabilin (Lyrica) and see what he/she says.

Good Luck

Regards Malc

• Posted

Hi again again !

Agree about the pain relief,

I was originally put on Pregabalin to treat fibromyalygia.

It was purely by accident that I realised as the dose I was on was wearing off, the anxiety became more intrusive. Discussed this with my 'shrink' who agreed and raised the dose from 150mg twice a day to 2X 200mg.

Result.

It's not a complete cure but makes the difference between the Habdabs and being able to feed myself etc.

All my best, Alex

• Posted

hello im am Jason

im detoxing on mirtazapine and its terrible if your worried I think go and get another opinion it does not hurt the last thing you want is to start something and then feel worse and then try and detox of it your anxiety will double over night coming off it I hope it does not come to that.

I hope all goes well all the best and god bless jason

• Posted

hi catherine. there is nothing to be scared about taking prozac. iv been on them at a few different times in my life. the first time i just felt great and everything seemed really bright as if someone had turned a light on and i felt part of the human race at last. as i'v always felt different.

iv just come off my prozac this time as i dont feel they are helping me now. i never even had to cut down and i was on two tablets a day. 40mg. obviously i'v got some tablets left just in case but i'v never had to use them. i didnt tell my doctor. which i suppose was wrong. but she knows now. i had no withdrawels. perhaps thats because im on other strong medication.

please try not to worry about taking the prozac. only two things can happen and one is they work for you or they dont, but im sure they will work especially if you'v never been on them before. all the best catherine and please dont be scared, you are worrying over nothing. so try not to worry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.