Question?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been dealing with GA for almost 2 years.  I recently tried clobatasol creame and UVA light therapy to no avail.  My doctor has recently put me on 10 mg of methotrexate and folic acid.

My GA really had no effects (itchinging, etc) until I started taking the methotrexate(I've only had 1 dose).  Now, the lesions on the back of my leg are itching and dry.  Anyone else experience this? If so, what did you do about it?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi akhughes, I have GA now for almost 3 years. I also have taken methodraxate, which did seem to help. I did have itching, but the itching was not do to the methodraxate. I know this because I had it before I started taking the methodraxate. I had to go off methodraxate for other reasons. And now my GA looks like little bumps all over my body. I have them every where and they itch. What I have learned is that there are different types of GA and some types are worse then others. Some itch and some do not. I have been on a eating clean diet. Very restricted but it seems to be working. I have been on for two months now. The bumps are not as red and not as itchy. I am going to try to see what happens with good before I go back on the methodraxate, do to the side effects. I hoped I have helped. GA is just so complicated, no one really has the answers, because what works for one person may not work for another. Good luck
  • Posted

ann44562 is wise, especially in her comment about what works for one person suffering from GA does not necessarily cure the disease in another. I have not taken methotrexate -- and, after having researched it -- nor would I ever. So I have no advice to offer specific to your point about dryness and itching. Instead, just a word of caution to all those with GA that in the interests of trying to find a cure, just be wary of drugs or treatments with unwanted side affects. As unsightly and embarrasing as granuloma is, it does seem relatively benign, so we should do our best to avoid adding injury to the GA insult.
    • Posted

Sally I totally agree. Taking any medicine even certain natural vitamins may have side effects that do more damage to your body then the actual GA. I am truly hoping eating a very clean diet is the answer. I have read that diet is the way to heal your body. Not just for GA but for many different illnesses. I also have RA and high blood pressure. The diet has helped all of these I have lost 15 pounds, and that is also good Lol. I hope in a few weeks I can write to you all , and say the diet has worked. Good luck everyone. Keep in touch. Maybe we can figure this out together.
  • Posted

I have had GA for almost 4 years now. I have tried multiple medications. They were all very harsh and made me terribly ill and did not help. Currently I am on the elimination diet and it helped with some other issues but not the GA. I'm getting ready to be tested for heavy metals in my body and also to see if I have the enzyme that breaks them down. Will proceed with a supplement if the test shown metals (especially mercury).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.