Question

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I am reducing my Prednisone and having problems. I have RA and I'm now trying to reduce my prednisone from 5mg to 2.5mg. I'm struggling but have slowed things down. I'm now taking 3.75mg. I'm having a few problems, pain and inflammation, but the main problem is mood swings. Is this normal? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I went from 5mg to 4mg per my doctor, she gave me 1mg pills so I can slowly go down.  This was months ago, I don't remember for sure but think the first few 2-3 days were odd, mostly feeling very hungry which I thought wierd since that usually happens when first starting pred, I didn't think it would happen when reducing.  After then I felt fine.  I am still on 4mg not sure when I will go to 3mg.

• Posted

Hi!  I have RA and reduced my prednisone from 15 down to nothing, over the course of 9 months.  But I stopped at 7 for a long time, and went down 1mg a week this year ending in April.  I found 7-6-5-4 the very hardest, because I actually got joint pain which I've found out was prednisone withdrawal not arthritis.  I didn't have mood swings but I did get very exhausted and low on actual life energy for about two months.  I didn't come right until 4 or 5 weeks after stopping completely.  But now, I feel amazing and am so glad I did it.  I did a lot of reading and there's some really good posts on this site about a quite complicated and much slower method of reducing, which I read too late.  Turns out I went fairly fast down, but I was doing what my doctor told me, and it worked out ok.  I guess what I'm saying is possibly the worst is behind you, or you are in the worst now and it will get better.  It is really really hard though, and every person reacts individually.  You can do it!  All the best.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I will try to find the posts about slower methods of withdrawal. 
  • Posted

If you have been on pred for long (more than about 6 weeks or less at higher doses) at this level of pred your body is having to readjust and start to produce its own corticosteroid called cortisol. Some people take longer than others but in the meatime you are likely to feel fatigued and there are other symptom indicating adrenal insufficiency. It is a very complex set-up and while it is sorting itself out some people find themselves very up and down. Pred itself at higher doses can cause mood swings but the changing doses can upset you too

This is probably the slow reduction approach sonya mentioned:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/reducing-pred-dead-slow-and-nearly-stop-method-531439

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I have been on steroids for nearly 3 year. Probably on the lower dose of 5 mg for 1 year. Thanks for the link. 
    • Posted

In that case your adrenal function should be teetering on the edge of recovery - it has to start up once you are below about 7mg/day. Just be patient and all the best.
  • Posted

Hi Wendy, I hope you begin feeling better. I recently decreased from 6mg to 4mg and am experiencing ankle swelling throughout the day and morning stiffness. I left a message with my doc to ask if this is a normal response. Have you or anyone else experienced a similar reaction when decreasing medrol? Many thanks. 
    • Posted

Hi Emily

I have not had problems with ankle swelling. My main problem is mood swings. I have pain and swelling of my hands and wrists. I am now going to slow down the reduction of my steroids as suggested in Eileen's post. I hope things improve for you 

• Posted

I keep a 10-day "short burst" of prednisone in the cupboard (which gets renewed every 9 months) in the event I have a bad flare-up. I may use them once every year and a half. One time I was tapering my dose as I always have and my symptoms came back even worse than before I start the burst. So my doctor had me start the short burst all over again, but in my tapering I actually had to cut each pill in quarters and very, very slowly reduce the dose. It worked. This stuff can be unpredictable.

• Posted

I'm also tapering Prednisone, I have been reduce by .25mgs every couple of weeks.   First week I reduce the prednisone from 5 to 4.75 on day one then back up to 5 the next day and continue for a week.   Second week I reduce to 4.75 every day.   I managed to get down to 4.5mgs but the pain sudden;y exploded, so I've jumped back up to 5mgs, but it doesn't seem to be helping, not sure if it's the tapering or the Cosentyx I've started on again.   Can't use my hands at all at the moment, even brushing my teeth is painful.  

• Posted

Sounds like you are having a bad reaction to something. Don't know anything about Cosentyx. Have you got a rheumatology help line you can ring for advice? The increase in steroids always takes a while to work. Maybe go back to your Dr. Hope things improve for you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.