Question

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have never posted on any sites like this but it’s time. My husband is 49 and has kidney disease for as long as I can remember. Back in September he went for a checkup and his GFR was 24. We went to the dialysis class and prepared ourselves for starting dialysis. His follow up appointment 6 weeks later his GFR jumped back up to 34. We were both relieved and figured we still had a couple more years. He had always suffered from gout but since that appointment in September he just can’t seem to get rid of it. He goes on a zpack of steroids and it goes away by the end of the pack and then immediately comes back as soon as the steroids stop. He is always tired and very very cranky. His doctor does not want him to stay on the steroids but his pain is not bearable at all. So my questions are.... has anyone else had a jump in GFR and still just did not feel well at all? And has anyone else had such frequent gout attacks? It is in both his feet and will even go up his legs. 

Thanks for any info

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Brenda, I don't experience gout so can't speak to that issue--but it certainly sounds like it is painful. I can imagine that it is making it difficult for your husband to sleep well at night and so forth.

I have had improvements of about 1.0 or slightly more in my creatinine (and corresponding improvements in my eGFR) but have not felt any better. In my case that has been due to very low and suddenly plummeting blood pressure and severe anemia. Now that my blood pressure is back up into the normal range and my anemia is under effective treatment I'm feeling much better even though my creatinine and eGFR are actually in worse shape. (I'm now at very low Stage IV or very high Stage V;a decrease from high Stage IV.)

Marj

• Posted

My husband is on allopurinol, anti-gout medication.  You will have to find the right dosage to get rid of the gout.  Occasionally, it might return and need colchicine to get rid of, but eventually the allopurinol has gotten rid of his gout permanently, hasn't had gout for 10 years.  Hope that this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.