Question

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone! I have a question for all of you ladies or gentlemen that have suffered. I have a pituitary microadenoma that appears to be measuring 2mm. Does anyone know if surgery is performed for such a small microadenoma? Let me give you some of my background I'm currently doing all of my studies to see if I have Cushing's Disease which I feel that I do. I have been dealing with a severe case of Hashimotos disease for the past 15 years I have been diagnosed with celiac disease and I've had my gallbladder removed and I also have PCOS. I have been to countless amount of doctors and then on so much medication and yet I continue to gain weight. I have gained over 60 lb within the past year and I've only been taking my Synthroid and I was even given Prozac at some point because I have anxiety and depression. I think I found the doctor that's willing to help me the way I feel is necessary but I'm just curious if there is any options of surgery is not applicable to my case. Does anyone else have any idea or I would love to hear from you. Thank you!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi Ingrid

you sound a lot like me-medical history

I have a form of celiac

I had gallstones but never took my gallbladder out

and right now I think I have a pituitary tumor

yes it could be the cause of your symptoms

check your hormone levels

cortisol-acth, prolactin

this is what will confirm cushings

your cortisol will generally be high

• Posted

Hi! You are correct my cortisol is high and now they have ordered me to do a 24 hour urine and the dexthamethasone suppression test again because the first time around it came back abnormal
  • Posted

another thing Ingrid is

if you have a pituitary tumor they-doctors

generally don't recommend thyroid hormones

or shouldn't anyway

it may interfere somehow

I would ask your doctor to be taken off your synthroid

until you figure out this thing with your pituitary

there are natural things you can do to help your thyroid

while you wait

that is just my opinion based on research

good luck

• Posted

Thank you Courtney I have actually tried being off my thyroid and I am completely not functional without it I was taking the T 3 for sometime, however I currently am taking 175. Mcg of Synthroid so I don't think it's an option to get me off of it right now

• Posted

Ingrid

A 2 mm tumor is about a little over half inch. The pituitary is the size of a pea.

So with a tumor that size yes it is very possible they would do surgery to remove it if it is producing excess Cortisol into your system, or ACTH. Please keep us updated on your diagnosis and prognosis.

• Posted

Thank you! As of right now I have been ordered to redo my dexthmethasone suppression test because it came back as abnormal the first time aroundand I have to do a 24 hour urine test. I am assuming this is to diagnose or rule out Cushing's disease?

• Posted

Hingrid,  Wow!  It is interesting to hear that you had to have your Gallbladder out, so did I but after I was diagnosed.  I am always trying to find some common ground for those of us who have got or had Cushings.  Some of your symptoms do sound like Cushings but they also as others have said could be the result of something else.  I would think that they would most certain do an op if you are diagnosed with Cushings.  As another person said it is unusual for you to be on Thyroid tablets before the op.  I am on them now post op.  Two symptoms that I had that are not generally mentioned are excessive hairiness and excessive sweating.  Do let us know how you get on.  Your GP should refer you to an Endocrinologist.  Good Luck!
    • Posted

Thanks Vicky! I am currently under care of an endocrinologist, and I am currently taking 175 mcg of synthroid, as my thyroid condition is worsening. I honestly feel and would prefer to have the surgery in hopes of getting better because I am tired of feeling sick and tired and I am sure you understand. I am only 35 years old I have no children however I would love to be pregnant in the near future but I am highly unmotivated at this time with all of my medical issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.