Question

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m on a pill that doctor says relaxes the colon. My right sided flank ache has pretty much gone away while watching what I eat, but there still is a tenderness inside me in that same area. 

I mentioned to him I looked all these symptoms up which talk about right sided colon cancer and he rather shrugged it off.   He felt my stomach for pain but not lying down. I was sitting up. 

Since it has been more than 10 years since I had a colonoscopy for diverticulitis and surgery to remove it left sided near sigmoid colon non-cancerous why would he wait 3 months into July for endoscopy & colonoscopy?   Would they not schedule those tests sooner if he suspected a serious issue?  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Keep on your doctor.  It took me basically telling mine after my last attack in February was he waiting for me to die?  Thank God I did because that's what got the ball rolling for surgery.  My surgeon told my boyfriend I wouldn't have lived another 3 months if I hadn't had the surgery.  You know your body better than anyone else.  Listen to your intuition,  and do not let him treat you like a hypochondriac. 

• Posted

I take Bentyl or generic dicyclomine for cramps and spasms.

Today I am feeling some bloating, discomfort so I’m right on it with heat(heating pad) and taking the Bentyl every 4 hours and I’m only eating soup today.

If your not comfortable you can ask to have an earlier colonoscopy.  Waiting makes things worse and will stress you.

As long as it is 6 weeks since your attack . I’d ask to speed it up.  Good luck!

• Posted

I’m guessing he doesn’t think you’re that sick.  Maybe it’s time for s new doctor.  Are you on antibiotics at the moment?
    • Posted

No antibiotics this time. During my first attack my doc put me on Flagyl.  I couldn’t tolerate it so he changed it to Cipro.   After 3 weeks of liquids and terrible aching, bloating, terrible gas, I went to ER. ER doc said you have symptoms of a kidney stone so did a CT scans right away.  No kidney stone was seen, but had some blood in urine & white cell count was up.  Sent me home. No meds.  Went back to regular doctor to tell him and he tells me CT scans showed no diverticulitis, no kidney stone at that time, might have passed it.  I asked who he would go to for this invisible problem that no one can give me a real answer to.  He made an appointment for me to see what he said who he would go to if he had this issue.  Made appointment and only saw doctors PA.  I discussed my fears.  He said, let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. The CT scan he went over showed no abnormalities, no DD, but a very small bulge in colon in that area right side.  He said ......sounds more like spasms.  

When this started I had eaten a spinach pie in 2 days, I ate a bag of large gum drops. I own 2 biz so I was eating on the run.  That’s what started this mess.  

I just called my gastric doc to see if they could speed up my scopes.  Not that they are fun, but I worry about them waiting until July.   

So now I wait for a phone call.  Are they that busy with scoping into July?? 

• Posted

It’s so frustrating. I absolutely know what you are talking about.

I don’t know about scheduling those tests but o have not had to wait that long.

I think it is how the doctor wrote the script saying it wasn’t urgent.  I’ve learned wording makes a difference.  If he wrote ASAP you would be in sooner.

Keep using the heating pad and medication for spasms.  I rely on them both to help me when I am feeling a flare up.  It’s hard to sit still but using heat really helps me.

Good luck and we are all here for you.

• Posted

I had my first attack in July.  Wasn't scheduled until November for a colonoscopy.  In that time period I had 4 attacks,  the last one 2 weeks prior to the colonoscopy.  My situation is I'm on Medi Cal who is notorious for handing out pills instead of getting to the root of the problem. I can tell you spinach is one of the worst things you can eat with Diverticulitis.  You literally have to watch what you eat, drink, etc. Stay on a bland diet. Absolutely  no spice, corn, tomatoes and tomato based foods,  nuts, anything with seeds, fresh fruit and vegetables.  Keep an eye on your stomach acids because you might have a blockage which really screws up the stomach.  Good luck and keep fighting. 

• Posted

I just want to say thank you to all you wonderful people to talk to about this. It’s stuff even a good doctor doesn’t tell you everything.   I’m ssoo fortunate and blessed to have found all of you. 

Again thank you. 

• Posted

You're welcome.  I never even heard of Diverticulitis until I was diagnosed.  My case was so bad I couldn't eat anything but the soft food diet. Also stay away from red meat. I have eaten so much turkey and chicken  (baked,  broiled,  boiled , and grilled ) I'm growing feathers. Bone marrow broth will help provide you with vitamins, minerals and nutrients your diet is lacking in. Now that I am on the road to recovery, once I feel comfortable and safe I will finally have my spinach salad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.