Question about appendix.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone that has had a bowel resection had problems with appendix at any time afterwards?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

During my surgery, my surgeon needed to cut big part of the colon, small part of the small intestines and the appendix. My surgery was 13 months ago and I am great now.

• Posted

Oh gosh I hope your not having that issue now after a resection. I can't help you out on this one as I had my appendix out about 45 years ago when I had an ovarian cyst removed. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Well now I'm having right sided pain,with urinary symptoms which i had when my I had my bad attack of diver that put me in hospital. Have had urinary symptoms since this whole thing started,( resection, iliostomy, and reversal. )Now accompanied by the right side pain and feeling sick. its obviously not acute appendicitis , but i wondered if with my history, my appendix could be involved. I dont think you can have chronic or grumbling appendix. I could be wrong though. When j started with this pain a few years ago i had my ovaries checked and they were fine. I've had it off and on with my bowel troubles. No one could explain it. It has gone next level now though. I see my surgeon in a few weeks thank goodness.

• Posted

HI RHIANNON

I KNOW WE HAVE SPOKEN IN THE PAST.

I had 18" of the descending colon and sigmoid removed 4/2018. I HAD A FLARE IN NOV 2018 that lasted through 4/2019. NOW DURING THAT TIME I HAD BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT SIDED PAIN. THE CT SCAN SHOWED DIVERTICULITIS ON THE LEFT SIDE AND A LARGE DIVERTICULUM ON THE RIGHT. MY PAIN WAS WORSE ON MY RIGHT SIDE! MY APPENDIX WAS REMOVED IN 1976. NONE OF THE MDS CAN EXPLAIN THE PAIN! I STILL GET THAT PAIN ON OCCASION AND MAY LAST FOR 10 minutes or 10 days!

I KNOW YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH A LOT. COULD YOURS BE FROM SCAR TISSUE DUE TO PREVIOUS INFECTIONS OR YOUR SURGERIES? IT IS SO FRUSTRATING NOT TO GET ANY ANSWERS!

GOOD LUCK AT THE DR!

• Posted

Hi Kate. Yes I do remember you. Yes I wouldn't be surprised if it's the diver back. I have felt really unwell this week. Shivery and fluey. Same as before. But i never had " classic diverticulitis until the infection that put me in hospital and lead to the abscess. I did read 12 out of 100 people get it back. I've got urinary discomfort and right side pain but id definitely feels like the bowel. Feel very defeated today. Why did they decide to remove your appendix? Did it help?

• Posted

Sorry kate, just realised you had appendix out earlier in your life. I understand now. That wasn't causing your pain. How did they treat your diver after surgery? Are you better now?

• Posted

I still have diverticulosis but told me not to worry about that pain on the right side. I had pain, nausea ,back pain and diarrhea for a year after surgery on and off. But labs and CT was all neg.

You need to get that appendix checked out!

My DR had said between 5-10% will have recurring diverticulitis. I'm not convinced I didn't have a lot of inflammation at the time of surgery despite being on antibiotics for 5 months prior to OR. Pathology showed diverticulitis at the time of surgery.

• Posted

I must admit I had all the things you mention, plus I had 2 surgeries, but my main annoyance has been the weird urinary symptoms which I had when I had the abscess, and are worse after a bm. I don't have that every day but when I do it's painful, sometimes for hours. It concerned me that i had that last week, plus the right sided pain, and felt feverish. The feverish feeling has settled but i still have the pain. I will see my gp today, he is great, but he's not an expert on this, so I'll be glad to see my surgeon. Thanks for your answer and support. This forum is great. I've needed it many times! I'm worried and really fed up at the moment. I wake up and think, what will this day bring? And thats not me, I'm usually very optimistic and cheerful. Speak soon.

• Posted

New development today. Woke up and as soon as i had a hot drink i felt extremely nauseas. Pain on right very bad. Rang surgeon office and they have got me in at 3 today. ( Australian time). Pain has settled but still there, its been constant . Had a bm but very little. I don't think it's appendicitis. I don't think its classic symptoms. I'm wondering if it's return of diverticulitis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.