Question about Apple Watch ECGs

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all,

Lately, I have experienced a seemingly fluttering of my heart, where I can feel it pounding intensely. During these incidents, I have turned to my Apple Watch and it's ECG function, out of a mix of curiosity as well as anxiety. During these incidents, my ECG graphs look very bizarre. The graph is all over the place, it's hard to even see where a single beat is. I was just wondering what you all thought of it, and if it's anything I should be concerned over. I feel like it's more than likely just bad readings, and my anxiety getting to me, but I thought I would get some second opinions.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had bouts of arrhythmia on and off for years which seemed to have stopped.

Like you I have an Apple watch and tried out the ECG function. My beat was berserk

fluctuating from 60 up over 130 in milliseconds. I had not been aware of any chest discomfort.

Diagnosis is Atrial Fibrillation...a not uncommon condition. Best to Google it.

I Take a couple of pills..a beta blocker to slow the rate down and an anti coagulant as

the condition can lead to blood clots.

• Edited

Hi,

Thanks for posting the graph from Apple watch. I was curious on what the Apple can do while I was looking for a personal ECG device. If you still feel your symptoms, I would say see you PCP/Cardiologist for further advice. Bring your graph. I am curious if they recommend using the Apple watch.

Your graph may look like all over the map. But so far, that's my experience I had with personal ECG - still looking for one that can generate nice graph that is close to those in the doctor office or in these personal device's ad. I have AliveCor KardiaMobile and a couple (Quest) finger clip on devices. They are not bad. But with my irregular heart beat, the result is all over the map. So, if anyone has any recommendation, please let us know.

My condition: I have PVCs (recent Zio patch results indicated 15% and a few NSVT) and an enlarge left altrium. I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy of unknown cause and I am on beta-blocker and ACE-inhibitor. However, I don't feel my PVCs at all. Several cardiologists(due to insurance changes) looked at it and said they will watch. I need a good personal ECG to see any of my lifestyle change helps: removing caffine, diet, stress reduction, meditation etc. I am trying to avoid albation until its deems necessary.

• Posted

I have a Kardia unit and its a must to find a place electrically neutral before making a trace. It might be that you were near other electrical eqmt causing interference. Investigate. Worth checking with a Dr. anyway. There is fluttering which lasts a few seconds and Palpitations where the heart pounds and gets faster. Again check with your Dr. as a proper trace may be advised.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.